Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

How to tell if your child is ready / looking for tips

So my son turned 2 in March, we bought him a potty a few months ago and when we first got it I tried to make sure I put him on it before and after sleeping each day. I also got a potty book to read while he was sitting there and some stickers for encouragement. I didn't last too long at putting him on the toilet because nothing was happening and I had to bribe him to stay on the toilet for longer than 30 seconds. Soon he started thinking if he sat on the potty I'd let him watch dinosaur train, lol. I think I lasted maybe a week? FYI, before I bought the potty he was fascinated with flushing the toilet, and when I'd use the bathroom and he was in the room he'd always try to shove toilet paper between my legs.

Anyway, fast forward to now, a couple weeks ago before I gave him a bath I said I needed to use the potty and he got really excited and wanted to go too. So I sat him down sans-pants and he pushed a bit and let out a toot and a tiny drop of pee. Today I caught him mid poop and put him on the potty... most of it was in the diaper, but he did poop some in the potty. I tried again tonight before bed and while he was quite happy to sit and look at a book, nothing happened. (Though he did attempt to pull down and pull up his pants.)

I'm thinking maybe it's time to start working more on this, but this is my first time so I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I was also wondering what method you guys like better. Something like this: http://www.lucieslist.com/toddlerhoo...otty-training/

Or should I just try to put him on the potty before/after sleep and meals?

Advertisement

apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
kanga1622
Registered Users

Just watch for cues and let your child decide. We really started working with our oldest around 18 months because for 3 days in a row he would pee as soon as we unsnapped his diaper. Basically we ended up training us instead. He was happy to sit on the potty but we were constantly watching the clock and taking him routinely to avoid accidents. He was like 3.5 before we felt like we could just let him decide when he needed to go. He still gets upset with us when we tell him to take a potty break before we get in the car (he is 6).

DS2 has not been as interested in the potty so we have offered but only made it a "requirement" before/after a bath (so a couple times a week). Most times he would do nothing but we praised the heck out of him when he actually does more than just sit. Then randomly this weekend he decided (35 months) that he didn't want diapers any more. Today was day 3 with no diapers and he had a total of 2 accidents and he is going to the bathroom without prompting. Seriously, our oldest was like 4 before he would go without prompting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to let your kid be the biggest initiator in this process. I truly feel that our attempt at starting our oldest so early and the constant reminders actually hindered his ability to know when he needed to go. There is no harm in trying for a few days and then setting it aside if your child isn't getting the hang of things or is getting frustrated.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
mommo2
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to tell if your child is ready / looking for tips

Agree with previous poster. You'll know when he's ready and don't worry about it until then. Our girls both showed us they were ready because they started to get curious about what I was doing in the bathroom and figured out that their bodies also made pee and poop. They also started to notice when they had wet or dirty diapers and did NOT like it one bit. Good luck!
mommo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
MrsW07
Registered Users

We used one of the 3-day methods with both of our kids--my son was 27 months and my daughter was 25. With my son, he was fairly non-verbal until he was 3, so we used a lot of sign. I'm not sure if that was part of the issue, but it took him much longer to train. I just PLed DD two weeks ago and she's only had one accident since the second day of training. With her, she is very, very verbal, was willing to sit on the potty, and had the added benefit of watching her big brother. I actually was afraid it was too early for her and was going to quit if it didn't work, but she was ready!

Go with your gut. And if it doesn't work, just try later.
MrsW07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

I got a book - "Oh Crap, Potty Training" and it was pretty helpful. Most just gave me the confidence that he could be ready. He's mostly potty trained except nights. He still needs to be reminded and needs help with his clothing, but it is so much better than the battle that diapers were becoming. He kept kicking me and screaming while I would change him. Plus no more poopy diapers to spray off!
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
linem24
Registered Users

I'm always a fan of creating success. Use timing as you have started to do. Celebrate even a toot (right muscles!) and every pee. Make it a happy place to be where you spend time together, read books. And don't be discouraged if nothing happens while you're there. I heard that success happens quickly when a child is ready and that ready means they can remember three things at a time. Like put on your socks, put your diaper in the trash, and put your pjs in your hamper. So If that is true, working on building memory would actually help with potty training... this has always made sense to me though. A child has to realize they need to go, take action to get to the potty (or inform you) and then hold it long enough to get there to be successful. That's three things they are managing at the same time...
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
hopeworks
Registered Users
seller

Wet diaper was my cue. It was somewhat easy with my second one. My first child had a 2 week break and he would use the potty seat every time he had to go. Second child took this as her clue and she just started following her elder brother!
hopeworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
gypsykitten
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeeling View Post
I got a book - "Oh Crap, Potty Training" and it was pretty helpful. Most just gave me the confidence that he could be ready. He's mostly potty trained except nights. He still needs to be reminded and needs help with his clothing, but it is so much better than the battle that diapers were becoming. He kept kicking me and screaming while I would change him. Plus no more poopy diapers to spray off!
I am a FTM and we used this book too with success. It's been about 4 months now and I really don't even prompt her any more. She still needs help wiping. I am fortunate that she has pretty much always held it overnight so that wasn't an issue. I believe mine was ready when she started seeking privacy to poop, but I waited until she was 28 months because I didn't have confidence in myself to teach her.
gypsykitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
abbyrose
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have been thinking about starting to potty train my 20 month old for a few months now, but life is crazy because I now also have a 7 week old! But all of this info has been super helpful and encouraging!
abbyrose is offline   Reply With Quote