Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
MileeG
Registered Users
seller

she keeps throwing up, any thoughts?

My dd is 16 months old. She was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy when she was three months old and reflux. Since then she has been on Elecare formula and prilosec. She has been seeing a pediatric GI as well. But she keeps throwing up. Not every day, but at least once or twice a week. They increased her prilosec at her last GI visit last month, but she still throws up.

Once she finishes a meal or drinks some formula from her sippy cup she will just throw up everything that she ate/drank. It isn't just one food that seems to bother her, it could be any food. (it's not that she is eating anthing with dairy or milk protein - I make all of her food).

She is already below the curve for her weight so the fact that she is throwing up a couple of meals a week isn't great.

She goes back to the GI next week. Is there anything specific I should ask him? Could it be something othr than reflux?

Advertisement

MileeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Xeniphia
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: she keeps throwing up, any thoughts?

Have they looked into the prospect of a Soy intolerance/allergy as well? My son has issues with both and a lot of babies that have a dairy protein allergy have a Soy allergy as well (I want to say it's around 50% but I'm not sure). And Soy is in a LOT of things, they hide it well.
Gaming Star Wars Geek married to the love of my life. Cosleeping , Breastfeeding , Babywearing , CDing , ECing, Nonvaxing, Noncircing, BLWing, HS hopeful WAHM to my Jedi 7-2003, and my munchkin 8-2009.
Xeniphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS throws up all the time too. He has always had trouble keeping stuff down, as an infant he spit up constantly and now he vomits about once a week. When I ask the doc about it she says that every baby develops their sphincter muscles at different times. His is just taking longer to mature and he will stop eventually. It really doesn't bother him at all, he just throws up and gets on with everything. It's usually when he eats too much and/or gets too rowdy after eating. If my DH tried to put him to bed, he gets so upset and wants me and that makes him puke as well. I really like that our doc assures me that some kids just throw up and he will grow out of it. She has never suggested meds at all because she sees it as a normal issue.

I know it can be frightening to have a child throwing up all the time, and can understand that since she's below the curve it makes you worried. It sounds to me that the prilosec isn't doing much, would you consider just stopping it? Maybe it's upsetting her tummy even more. Can you just give her another meal after the throws up? Then she will be replacing it and filling back up.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If they haven't yet done a full allergy panel they should.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Dean7698
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
If they haven't yet done a full allergy panel they should.
ITA. This would be a good idea.
Sarah Wife to Patrick,Mama to DD #1 12/14/2001,DD #2 08/04/2003,DD #3 12/28/2008, and DD #4 October 10,2010
Dean7698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would also suggest a swallow study and an upper GI. There is a reason. DFS throws up multiple times a day on Elecare, but they haven't figured out why yet. There is nothing in Elecare to be allergic to...

My experience is that they won't do a full allergy panel til at least age 2. We have asked and asked. DFS throws up during feeds, 45 minutes after feeds, 90 minutes after feeds...it is SOOOO frustrating.

Good luck with GI!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
MileeG
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Mamas. I will ask about the allergy panel. I know her GI is going to be frustrated that she is throwing up. He is more concered about he weight than our pediatrician. We had discussed a soy intollerance at one point since she seemed fussy when we gave her soy milk at 12 months. So I just stopped giving her things with straight soy. I haven't cut things out with soy additives, but maybe that is the next step.
MileeG is offline   Reply With Quote