Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear Tubes, good or bad idea?

My DS had them and they made all the difference

Advertisement

Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Clinical research indicates that tubes are a standard medical procedure without significant evidence to back up the outcomes. The evidence is even worse with multiple procedures.

Seems like a lot of mamas here have had success. I would give it one go around, but if they don't work the first time, I would suggest looking into alternatives.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't understand why parents are so hesitant on these. (Not being mean, I realize that so many are) They are a LIFESAVER. My son was in constant pain for 8 months with ear infections, got his tubes and he was a whole different baby. Finally, he was in pain all the time.

Here though, we have one of the two doctors that don't put babies under for getting tubes. It's not real fun for them, but the whole thing is over in 5 minutes and there are no dangers of anethesia. I wait in the waiting room, they take the baby put them on one of those papoose boards, stick numbing drops in their ears, pop the tubes in, and take them right back to mom. We always did Motrin before the surgery, and as soon as he was back in my arms he calmed and we drove home and took a nap together and once he woke up, it was like nothing ever happened! And he was pain free from then on out!

Get the tubes. I can't imagine for the life of me that you would regret it!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Have you ever taken your child to a chiropractor or naturopath/homeopath for this? Or considered possible food sensitivities or intolerances? I have heard of a ton of success with these less invasive approaches. Personally if my child had this problem, I would definitely try some other things before surgery. Anesthesia is anesthesia. Could it really hurt to try something for a month or two? You can always do the tubes later if other treatments aren't helping...

Here's a link to an article about chiropractic and ear infections:
http://icpa4kids.org/HPA-Articles/ch...nfections.html
Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #15
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwmommy View Post
My dd is getting tubes next month. She was diagnosed with her 5th ear infection today. And 4 of the 5 were since the beginning of the year so she has had one per month since Jan. But it's not just the ear infections but the complications she gets from them. She has lots of breathing problems whenever she has an ear infection. So I'm really hoping that tubes help because she hasn't been well for most of this year!
Have they checked her adenoids/tonsils? My dd had the same thing and her adenoids and tonsils were causing a breathing obstruction. The adenoids were actually so large they blocked her eustation (sp?) tubes.

Dd had tubes placed at nine months. She had no hearing/ no babble prior to surgery. Started babble in four days, first word two weeks later. They have been amazing. We lover our ENT, and she does recommend ear plugs at all water times.

Prior to surgery we tried chiropractic care and a medical protocol for trying to remove the fluid. Neither worked but I'm glad I pursued all options. A probiotic Xylarex helped cure the infections but she still had thick fluid that wouldn't drain (due to her adenoids) Chiropractic seemed to help her feel better. If I have another child that has problems I will still seek out a great pediatric chiropractor and try medication first. Surgery should always be a last resort in my opinion. Though it is a good option. Dd just had her tonsils removed as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #16
hands0407
Registered Users
seller

My DD became a different child after we had her tubes put in. I worried about it a lot (because of the anesthesia). I tried a lot of alternatives, and nothing worked. My DD developed an allergic reaction to a lot of antibiotics in the mean time. Just make sure they put the right size in. Our first ENT put really small tubes in, and they fell out within a few months. The next ENT stated he thought a bigger size would have been more appropriate. JUst a thought. Oh, and everyone commented on how much my DD had changed!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #17
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ds has/had tubes put in. He never had infections, but his ears stayed full of fluid and affected his hearing and speech. He also had his adenoids taken out. I have absolutely no regrets and would do it again without hesitation!

oh, and we didn't need to worry about water in his ears. Dr said only if we were going to be swimming in dirty lake water. Normal showers baths swimming pools etc were no problem at all.

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 04-09-2010 at 04:03 AM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #18
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband still has hearing loss due to the tubes being put in too late. He was an older child when he got them, because the attributed his lack of comprehension as a mental deficiency rather than a hearing issue. He was placed in spec ed(only for young young grades) and had extra resource help,etc. What a stigma(in the 80's, not now) when hearing was his only issue.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydlr View Post
Have you ever taken your child to a chiropractor or naturopath/homeopath for this? Or considered possible food sensitivities or intolerances? I have heard of a ton of success with these less invasive approaches. Personally if my child had this problem, I would definitely try some other things before surgery. Anesthesia is anesthesia. Could it really hurt to try something for a month or two? You can always do the tubes later if other treatments aren't helping...
I had my daughter tested for every single sensitivity/allergy that could be tested for and the two sensitivities that came back had nothing to do with her ears not draining properly.

I do not believe in chiropractic care treatment in children (based on other people having bad experiences), so I never tried that.

My daughter's issue was that her eustachian tubes were too narrow, so no amount of alternate treatments would've helped that.

Sometimes waiting for a surgery is the difference between a temporary and permanent hearing loss.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD got her first set of tubes a wk after she turned one, and that day she started walking. She was diagnosed with 6 ear infections in 4 months and that was where I drew the line. Went to the ENT said she is a prime candidate and we had it done. She did great, didn't even seem to phase her, she had no drainage of anykind. The Ent said her left ear was mostly clear but her right has the consistancy of glue in it so no matter of antibiotics or any other treatment would've worked.
About 18 months later they started falling out. They usually only last a yr but dd is a slow grower. By the time the first one was falling out she was already getting her first ear infection. She was already so impacted they had to go in and vacuum out the wax. So she went in for her second set of tubes and had her adnoids removed. She was a little fussy coming out of the anestisia this time but thats bc she only wanted her daddy. But after she snuggled with me and daddy came home for lunch she was fine.
As for the plugs, I was religious about them for the first 6 months. Then I started getting realistic, her ears werent getting water int hem when she showered or even in the bath. I put them in the first time around anytime she took a bath just to be sure but this time I'm not bc she is bigger and doesn't like water in her ears anyways. When she swims tho i put the plugs in and an ear band. Works great for us, I just had to sew it a little smaller for dd.
I do highly rec them for anyone having ear issues, just bc if they don't work it doesn't take long to heal if they come out.