Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
ralenth
Registered Users

Re: Ear Tubes, good or bad idea?

A good ENT will try other things (maybe) before tubes. My 3 year old was seeing an ENT this time last year for an ear infection that wouldn't go away. He was wonderful - and in the end, she didn't need tubes (nor antibiotics!)

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: Ear Tubes, good or bad idea?

Really I'm not convinced....

Here's my story with tubes. When my son went and had his hearing test the day after he was born he failed on his right ear. Between then and his 6 month appt. we did many tests over and over again and he consistently failed on his right ear over and over again. There was fluid in his ears but he never seemed to have a problem with ear infections. Never once did I have to take him to the doc because he was acting fussy about his ears. But we wanted to do the surgery anyway to see if it would help with the hearing problem. 6 months is the earliest they will do surgery and we heard so many great things about the surgery that we went ahead with it asap. During his first surgery they put the tubes in as well as removed a very small tumor from his right ear. After his surgery he was completely stone deaf from BOTH ears for a week!!!! I dropped a huge soup pot behind in and he had no reaction whatsoever. We were terrified and the doc's (ds's ped. and ent) acted very concerned but told us it was just swelling causing the problem. The problem cleared up on it's own and at the suggestion of our ped. we switched to a different ENT at a childrens hospital 2 hours away. Ped. never came out and said this but something went wrong in ds's first surgery and the ped didn't trust him.

Ds grew out of the tubes twice and had new surgeries. Now ds is 3.5 and he just had surgery last week to remove the only remaining tube. The other tube had fallen out on it's own a while ago but the hole in his ear drum never healed completely. They also wanted to do a paper patches over the holes. The ear that they just took the tube out of had a pretty good chance of healing shut with the paper patch but it's a 50/50 shot for the other hole. If that doesn't work when he's older they will do a more complex surgery to try to fix the hole. But all in all he may very well have a small hearing loss in that ear from the hole not healing properly.

So here is the outcome. He DID have hearing loss in his right ear from the begining. His hearing in that ear was apparently just below the normal hearing range, not far into a "hearing loss" category. The tubes did help him move up into the normal hearing range BUT since that hole is now in his ear drum and it didn't heal properly he may have a hearing loss from the tubes. So really it seems as though they got us nowhere. We really didn't win any ground in the end.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote