Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How much does homeschooling cost?

Our school district gives homeschooling parents a monthly stipend of $150 a month per child for you to use on teaching materials and extra classes, like music or dance. I have often wondered if this would be enough for homeschooling parents. What do you think? I mean, it is not meant to pay for everything, but is it even going to make a dent?

I know that classes around here, like dance or music, cost about $50 a month for a once a week class. So, that would leave $100 a month for materials and supplies. If you used a lot of your own stuff, and did not buy a lot of professional materials, that might be a good way to pay for it.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Katiebug_1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much does homeschooling cost?

Wow! I wish I lived where you live. We don't get anything like that. Anyway, I buy everything I can used and sell what books etc we don't need anymore. I am currently homeschooling 4 dc and on school materials (books, supplies) we spend no more than $1000 per year for everybody. So in my opinion, you could totally pay for everything with $150 per month (keep in mind that we do not do dance, music, sports etc).
Katiebug_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yes...that is plenty!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is more than enough. Even if you buy a full curriculum that should cover it (especially if you are using it for more than one child). I tend to pick up bits and pieces here and there, used or new, which I combine with free online curricula to build a curriculum. I do pay $10 a month for cosmeo (discovery channel online school). The rest of our supplies are the same types of things you would buy if you were sending your child to a regular school (pencils, glue, crayons, paints, paper ect). It really doesn't have to be that expensive. There are some pay online curricula you can use but even those tend to run right around $30-$40 a month for the ones I have looked at. So $150 a month would more than cover that and some extra curricular activities. I wish our school district did this.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

That sounds amazing! Wow I can't hardly believe your school district does that! We are trying to enroll in virtual academy so that is free to us since it is public online school. Other than that I don't know but I'd think that $150 a month would be plenty.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hm. is that for 100% homeschooled children or for children enrolled in a virtual program with curriculum given by the schools? All I've heard/read points to the more involved the school district is with your child, the more control that they have over what you can/can't teach your child and the curriculum you must use (and giving stipends fall under giving them control). That essentially makes it be regular public school outside of school which negates the main reason for homeschooling.. Gonna have to do some research to see what's what.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and for your question. I just bought a complete first grade curriculum for $239. I only need to add art supplies from the dollar store, which I would end up buying anyways to keep at home whether or not I was HS. That lasts for one year and whatever other activities I want to add (we're doing swimming lessons now as PE) wouldn't come close to spending that much money a month. It is totally doable to not spend tons of money and get a good curriculum, especially if one buys used. I bought my set brand new but will use it with Ducky when he gets to be of that age. I'd just need to add a $49 student notebook.
$239/2 children= $119.50
with a 9 month school year that comes out to a grand total of $13.28 a month for the first child and $18.72 for the second child (when the extra notebook is included). This price would go down depending how many children you're planning on using the program with. And of course there is always the option of selling it once you're done with it allowing you to recoup some of the money.

The art supplies we will need are paper, crayons, and paints. All of which are more than readily available at the dollar store.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
hm. is that for 100% homeschooled children or for children enrolled in a virtual program with curriculum given by the schools? All I've heard/read points to the more involved the school district is with your child, the more control that they have over what you can/can't teach your child and the curriculum you must use (and giving stipends fall under giving them control). That essentially makes it be regular public school outside of school which negates the main reason for homeschooling.. Gonna have to do some research to see what's what.
You have to jump thru hoops to get that money. First you have to enroll with their homeschooling program. Then, you have to make a teaching plan and meet with a certificated teacher and set learning goals for the year. Then, you have to submit paperwork for reimbursement up to that $150. They don't just hand it to you. It has to meet their criteria but pretty much any teaching materials and extra classes will meet it. They do not tell you what to buy. They do not sell materials. Then, at the end of the year, you have to meet up with teacher to see if you met your goals. I don't know what they would do if you did not.

The idea is to offer homeschooling parents assistance and extra funds. Since you are enrolling, they will get state funds for your child. So, they use them to fund the program.

But it is controversial and there are homeschoolers who adamently oppose it and think it is too much government control for their liking.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

That is similar to what they do in Alaska, except Alaska offers a set amount per school year for each child. And yes, there are hoops to jump through, but it is not required. You can still homeschool without it. It is just if you want the money you have to go through hoops to get it.

As for whether or not it is enough money, I bought brand new curriculum for my 4th grader and my 1st grader this year for about $300. That does not include the smaller things that come up month to month, such as a random supplies, but our supplies are pretty cheap and are often things we have around the house anyway. $150 a month would definitely be enough.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
I guess that depends the actual school. We use Sky Mountain Charter School http://skymountaincs.org/, and they don't take any control over what curriculum we use. The only thing is you can't use your funds to purchase a religious based curriculum, and you can't turn in a work sample that is from religious curriculum. However, that is consistent with public schools. We turn in a work sample from each subject every 20 days, along with an attendance sheet. They do STAR testing from 2nd grade on...and that's about it. I get $1800 for the school year for curriculum and classes.