Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can you eat too many bananas?

My DD LOVES bananas. She's 14 months old. Eats at least 1, sometimes 2 or 3 bananas a day. She also loves yogurt and eats 2 yogurt cups a day. And also cheese. If I'm not mistaken, all 3 of these things cause constipation, but we haven't had a problem. My question is if its not causing physical discomfort is it still a problem? I just read a report about how toddlers don't eat enough fruits and calcium and potassium and vitamin D and stuff, so I hate to take away 'healthy' food. She does eat a variety of other grains, oatmeal, fruits, beans, and veggies. Can she overdose on the bananas?

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can you eat too many bananas?

yes, they have a lot of potassium in them. Too much potassium can cause muscle rigidity.
froggymiamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD would eat bananas all day if I let her but I don't let her eat more than 1 a day. I would say that yes they can eat too many bananas. If she is eating that many bananas and yogurt then there is no way she can be getting enough of everything else. I'd cut her back to 1 banana a day and if she is a good milk drinker then I wouldn't give her yogurt everyday either.

ibotta with me and save money on groceries!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

Your DD sounds like my DS. He would eat yogurt, cheese and bananas all day if you let him. I cut down on his 2 yogurts (breakfast and lunch) by buying the Danimals tiny cups the orange ones. They are a super small serving of yogurt about 1 regular cup but he thinks hes getting 2.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

After I thought about it I probably eat up to half of the yogurt cups and sometimes half the banana. She usually eats a banana for breakfast and then asks for them throughout the day and sometimes takes just a few bites. It was one of the first signs she learned so when she asked for it, we gave it to her to reinforce it. Then she just got in the habit of eating them constantly! When I offer other fruits she eats them up too-apples, oanges, grapes, strawberries. I'll offer more of those. (Sometime I wish she would eat more junky snacks, like pretzels and goldfish crackers because they don't make sticky messes! Lol) Thanks!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggymiamore View Post
yes, they have a lot of potassium in them. Too much potassium can cause muscle rigidity.
I worry a bit about this as a friend of mine got potassium poisioning, but he also did not have enough water to go with all the pickles he ate. Being well hydrated can keep you from having issues.

I see you mentioned she is eating other stuff most likely she will be just fine, but maybe watch her banana intake on hot days.

nak

Last edited by Fairycat; 04-08-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

you can try and mix up what she is already eating. use yogurt for a dip with fruit, slice bananas over her oatmeal, that kind of thing. Use her favorite foods as ways to get her to try other food. A banana flavored smoothie could work for her too, especially when it gets really warm outside.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote