Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Naptime dilemma - long!

My DS is 13 months and a great sleeper. He goes down for naps (still 2 a day) and to sleep at night with no tears and no fussing. problem is, he still naps in his baby swing

he absolutely HATES his crib. screams bloody murder if you put him in there, regardless of the reason or the time of day or if he's sleepy or not. so he naps in his swing and cosleeps at night. i was hoping he'd be more comfortable in his crib by the time he hit the weight limit on the swing (25lbs), but i'm afraid he's going to flip the darn thing before that happens.

he adores swinging (we don't even have batteries in it right now), and essentially swings himself to sleep. but he swings so hard that the legs raise off the floor. i'm thinking about taping it to the floor, but that's really just a temporary solution.

so, any ideas? i suppose he could nap in our bed, except it's really high, we don't have bed rails, and he's home with a nanny all day. i wouldn't necessarily be comfortable with her hanging out in my bedroom, either. i'm also not willing to do CIO, so i'm a bit lost.

Advertisement

sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Naptime dilemma - long!

Maybe you could try a safer alternative like this:
http://www.google.com/m/products/des...52598023540401

It would be made purposely for larger kids & toddlers, so no taping it to the floor. He should be able to swing without tipping it over, plus he can actually play in it during the day.
Or my other thought is just getting him a high back rocking chair/recliner. So he could transition to something more appropriate for long term use. I'd worry about how safe the swing would be at his age & development stage. He might not be too big weight wise but he has the physical ability to tip it or try to climb out or be too long & make it unstable.
My 2 cents.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
ellaphen
Registered Users
Formerly: babyellabella
seller

Maybe put his crib mattress on the floor of his bedroom? I know my ds didn't like the confinement of a crib. We switched to a twin bed when he was just 14 months old - we used the mattress on the floor for a few months until we felt he was ready to sleep in the bed with a bed rail.

I wouldn't feel very comfortable with the tape solution. You never know when the tape will "give out", and it would be terrible if it happened to be during one of your lo's big swings.
ellaphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Maybe you could try a safer alternative like this:
http://www.google.com/m/products/des...52598023540401

It would be made purposely for larger kids & toddlers, so no taping it to the floor. He should be able to swing without tipping it over, plus he can actually play in it during the day.
Or my other thought is just getting him a high back rocking chair/recliner. So he could transition to something more appropriate for long term use. I'd worry about how safe the swing would be at his age & development stage. He might not be too big weight wise but he has the physical ability to tip it or try to climb out or be too long & make it unstable.
My 2 cents.
i've never seen one of those before! thanks so much for the suggestion, i'll bring it up to DH and see what he thinks. it really is a little scary watching the swing lift off the floor, and while he can't climb out yet i have a feeling we're getting to that point fast. i want to make a painless transition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaphen View Post
Maybe put his crib mattress on the floor of his bedroom? I know my ds didn't like the confinement of a crib. We switched to a twin bed when he was just 14 months old - we used the mattress on the floor for a few months until we felt he was ready to sleep in the bed with a bed rail.

I wouldn't feel very comfortable with the tape solution. You never know when the tape will "give out", and it would be terrible if it happened to be during one of your lo's big swings.
that's a really good idea too. i may see about getting a twin mattress instead, since there's a bit more space if he decides to roll. of course, then i don't know what i'll do with the crib! lol. my mom got it for us (with a matching changing table) and i hate to hurt her feelings, but DS being safe is more important at the end of the day.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
sjmj
Registered Users

Our DS really started to fight going into the crib at around the same age, so we put the mattress on the floor. It worked way better than I ever expected. He slept well and never got off the mattress - he would call for me when he woke up.
sjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

I don't have a solution, but I can commiserate. DD sleeps in her crib at night, but if I put her in during the day she screams, so she also naps in a swing. I'm just happy she is only 18.5 lbs at a year old. Not looking forward to her outgrowing the swing.