Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

When (what age) did your lo adopt a lovey? And, did I jump the gun?

For the last several days, maybe even a week, DS (almost 19 months) has on ocassion said "baby?" out of nowhere, and kind of looked hopefully at me. So last night he was in bed and having a hard time going down, and finally he kind of whimpered and said "mama...baby? Mees?" ("mees" is how he says please ). So, I asked if he wanted a baby to hug (he has a bear in his bed, but it is I guess too big to hug comfortably, and it's a heartbeat bear so maybe the hard noise maker inside is uncomfortable). He nodded really big and sat up, and I just (without thinking) grabbed the closest small stuffed animal I could find. Wouldn't you know, it was a small brown spotted pound puppy that I had as a little girl, circa 1985.... the first run of pound puppies.

So, I hand it to him and his face lights up like a Christmas tree, and he exclaims "Baby!!" then "Dog! Woof!" and proceeds to hug it tightly, roll around with it, and kiss it over and over exclaiming "my baby! me baby! woof! mine dog!" and so forth.

Uh. Oh. So my first thought was "what was I thinking grabbing the oldest stuffed animal in the room that has absolutely no chance of a replacement in the stores????!!!! I tell DH about it who insists that it won't last, since DS hasn't shown an affinity for having any sort of attachment object yet. but, this morning he comes in clinging to that dog, and then he talked about it on the way to daycare (just saying "baby, woof" in the back seat--and the baby was at home). DH still insists that he won't maintain the attachment. I think he will. So, this morning I jumped on ebay and, miraculously, found an exact match. It was $7 (and comes with another stuffed animal, which I'll probably jsut donate to his daycare). I went ahead and bought it. I figure, it's $7. So, what can I lose if he ends up NOT attaching to it.... on the other hand, if he DOES attach, I have a backup, right? But DH thinks I'm a complete dummy and that I totally jumped the gun.

So, when did your lo attach to something? was it as late as 19 months? Do you think I jumped the gun on a backup? I'm just curious

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When (what age) did your lo adopt a lovey? And, did I jump the gun?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

This thread is making me really nervous about the one of a kind stuffed things in DS' room that I was secretly hoping he'd attach to one day...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
visioner
Registered Users
seller

My LO was about 11 months when he would not fall asleep unless he was at home in his bed....it was then I realized he just wanted his one of a kind blankie. He still does not sleep without it and he is 2.
visioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my kids picked a lovey when they were about 12-18 months old. Figures they both picked one of a kind bears that I have no hope of finding a replacement for (and I did try, like a maniac). DS is old enough that she understands her bear is the only Chichi bear in the whole entire world and if she loses him he's gone. She's starting at public kindergarten this fall and I think he will have to stay home. DH has his "bearick" and his "other bear" that he likes to take to bed with him. Only one of them is allowed to leave the house at the same time to protect my sanity. I'm going to try to get #3 coming in July a lovey and a spare at the same time so I don't have this problem again.

Just make sure that you swap out the identical loveys on a regular basis so they age at the same rate. If there is a noticeable difference, the kids will be able to tell in a heartbeat!
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We stuck a blanket with DD from very early on so she attached to it way before she was 1. It sounds totally cute that your Lo is forming an attachment now

Sent from my iPhone...excuse any autocorrect mishaps!

ibotta with me and save money on groceries!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tharen attached to his "doxie" at about 12 months. "Doxie" and "Foxie" are Jelly Baby foxes. I originally bought one just before his first birthday because I saw it and thought it was cute. Well a few months later he became strongly attached to it. Naturally the store I bought "Foxie" from no longer carried them and I had to hunt all over the internet to find another one. For years any time you saw Tharen he had at least one of his "doggies" with him. In fact my avy is him with both of his lovies. He was so attached that when I had a tattoo done to represent him I added "Foxie". He still has "Doxie" and "Foxie" in his bed now, but he isn't quite as attached to them as he once was. They don't leave the house now and he can sleep without them.

Last edited by iris0110; 01-24-2012 at 11:08 AM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

W has had a lovey for sleeping since he was old enough to keep it off his face. He's become very attached to it lately to the point where I had to bribe him to leave it home when he went to daycare yesterday. He's almost 21 months. I have several of the Carter's loveys with animal heads that I rotate for washing. He has 2 favorites - monkey and puppy.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We picked a lovey for ds and put it in the crib with him from about 4mo on, as a way of helping with sleep issues. And we have 2 of them. He's very attached but doesn't have to take it everywhere yet, and he doesn't seem to notice or care when we switch them out to wash when they start smelling funky. Although he has seem them both at the same time and I think it kinda blew his mind.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmmama View Post
Just make sure that you swap out the identical loveys on a regular basis so they age at the same rate. If there is a noticeable difference, the kids will be able to tell in a heartbeat!
You're a smart mama!I never would have thought about that!

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote