Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Does anyone else's LO turn into a crazy, hyperactive Energizer bunny when teething?

My DD (20 months) is getting at least three canine teeth right now--I can feel them, but they haven't popped through, and I can see her gums bulging. For the past week or two she has been INSANE in the evenings. She'll be happy (unless I tell her not to do something or tell her to calm down) but running like crazy across the room, around the house, bouncing on the furniture, climbing all over me, being like a crazed monkey! As we're doing the bedtime routine, she's still moving a mile a minute and gets upset at the slightest thing. When I'm nursing her right before bed, she's thrashing about, pushing at me, and yanking at my nipple with her mouth (I'm pregnant, so this is especially painful for me). She doesn't want to unlatch, though.

After I put her to bed, she yells and complains from her crib and takes up to an hour to go to sleep, often with a visit from me or DH in there to see if we can calm her down.

The only other time I've seen DD so hyperactive is when I was giving her apples before I discovered she was allergic to them. I don't think she is having any food reactions right now, though, as her other allergy symptoms aren't present (and since she has tons of food allergies, I know what they look like!).

I think it's odd that while she's super active during the day (always has been), she only gets this crazy in the evening. I don't think she's overtired as she's sleeping about 11 hours at night and 1.5-2.5 during the day, but maybe I'm wrong.

Has anyone else observed hyperactivity with teething? Have you found anything that helps your LO calm down?

Advertisement

Wife to my supportive DH and WAHM to DD Nora (06/10), DS Emerson (07/12), and baby #5 (due 5/16) and my precious babies in heaven: Bennet (died 8/15 at 12 months) and Lucy (miscarried 7/15).

Last edited by melyndie; 02-09-2012 at 07:46 PM.
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I recently read kiwi helps calm them down and sleep. I'll be trying it on our trip as she hates the pack and play.

But as for hyperactivity? Not here. We do experience the toddler witching hour, which sounds similar. Google that.

As far as I can tell, it's just a crappy time of day for kids and their parents. Lasts an hour at our house and 3 hours at my friend's house.