Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

toys/activities for helping cabin fever?

I have a 3yr old dd and a l yr old ds, both with energy to spare. We live in MO, and go through times where playing outside isn't so feasible (extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, etc.). I've found that as my kiddoes get older the better they feel and behave once they've had some energy out. We visit family and friends, and we try to go out to a playplace once in a while but we're a one car family and daddy is at work a lot.

I'm thinking of getting them something like a toy trampoline or a rocking horse. My only reservation about the trampoline is any older kids (neices and nephews) that coming over and horseplaying with it. I wanted to get a netted one to cut down on any possible injuries.

I'm also thinking we need to get some more fun kids' cds. They could dance around and have fun that way.

Any other ideas? We live in a smallish apartment with no seperate playroom.

Advertisement

happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: toys/activities for helping cabin fever?

We have a large climber in our basement - best thing ever! All 3 of my kids use it a ton. We take it apart and put it in the storage room during the summer months so it doesn't et 'boring'. Ds is 2 and a bundle of energy and it is a God send many days.

We have those sit on bouncy balls and a bouncy horse and the kids bounce all over the basement - uses a lot of energy.

We run a lot of silly races across the family room (it is a large room and quite long) where we pretend to be different things (pretend to be a helicopter, hop like a bunny, etc) and the kids love it - beg to do it every night. It uses a lot of energy and is free.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
morethancjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When we lived in a rental and in a old single wide trailer my oldest 2 were about those ages and would get cabin fever.
I would do Simon says, can you beat my timer, and minim relays with them.

Set up 5 small objects on the couch or chair put a bowl about 15 ft away. Tell them to put one infect in at a time and then give them 30 seconds on a timer. When they beat your timer declare a rematch and set the timer for a lower amount.
Cottonball on a spoon and the 1st one to a certain spot with it wins. If it galls of you have to pick it up and start over. Ods would make daddy or I do this on our knees "make it fair".
Simple things like that can help get the wiggles out in small spaces.
Also when I was matching socks I would give them to ods 1 pair at a time and have him go put them in the correct persons dresser (or near it).
My mom has filled the bathtub with water and let them play on it from outside the tub. A kitchen whisk can be a really cool tub toy!
If I think of any others I will let you know. HtH

$49 unlimited talk/text plus unlimited data!
morethancjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote