Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #21
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No grains for babies first foods?? Research on this debate??

We waited until our daughter was 7 or 8 months and then I started her with egg yolk, avocado, whole milk plain yogurt, and whatever veggies she would eat. Pretty much BLW, but I did want her to start getting all of the nutrients from the egg yolk. Even now at 25 months she gets one every morning. At the time I hadn't discovered WAPF; with this next one I will probably start liver around 7 months also. Even now the grains that I feed her (and myself) are limited.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
mila~bean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been wondering the same thing... I wondered whats the point of feeding my little man (5mths) nutritionally void foods.. and then found an article listing the most nutrient dense foods on earth. I've attempted to incorporate some of them into his rice and other veggies.

They are:
Spriulina
Kale
Hemp Seeds
Chocolate (dark)
Broccoli
Spinach
Chia
Berries
(b/c I can't link yet...I just listed them. The site is organicauthority.com
mila~bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenearthbaby View Post
That is great advice!

I also highly recommend Nina Planck's book Real Food for Mother and Baby. I personally see nothing wrong with starting with purees (she is more into skipping them altogether) but overall she has a great philosophy.
I was going to recommend this book also; it's really great!

There's also a site called "nourishing our children" from the WAPF that produced a video on what foods to feed children from infancy, and how this seemingly simple task can make all the difference in your child's health and development. There was a 10 minute long excerpt that was available to watch; not sure if it's still there, though.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

We didn't do cereal with either of my DDs. DD1's 1st food was a plum when she was 8+ months old. I don't remember what DD2's first food was but she didn't eat any solids until after 6 months...we just followed their cues on when they wanted to eat. We are vegetarian and don't do much dairy, so they got mostly fruits and veggies. We eat a lot of avocados...I think it's odd that your chiropractor said they have too much fat in them. They do, but you need some good fat in your body.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
MaMaJodiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:

avocado is an awesome first food- very caloric too and makes great first finger food

but be careful- it can make babes gassy
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
MaMaJodiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:

I kind of agree with no grains- many many people around the world dont feed their kids dehydrated rice flakes as a first food.!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
Mom2AB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children...feeding-babies & http://www.westonaprice.org/children...a-growing-baby
Mom2AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #28
Insincereturnip
Registered Users
seller

Try visiting the Weston Price website. Sally Fallon of Weston Price has written a cookbook called Nourishing Traditions that has a section dedicated to baby feeding. Also, GAPS diet has a protocol for starting babies on solids that is in line with Nourishing Traditions but a bit more restrictive. After all I have read about grains, I would not give my baby grains until well after a year. Pastured eggs, liver, homemade broth, and lots of good fats are excellent for a baby and help their brain development. I am not an expert but i have been researching this extensively for the past five months. HTH.
Insincereturnip is offline   Reply With Quote