Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:
Needing some advice

I've been nursing DS every 3 hours, except at night when he goes anywhere from 5 to 9 hours.

He's a great eater, he's gaining weight, but there's a problem. Maybe not for him, but for me.

He nurses FOREVER. The smallest amount of time he nurses is 1 hour. Last night before going to be he nursed for 2 hours and 45 minutes. During the day it's more like 1 hour 15 minutes, with usually one session that reaches close to 2 hours.

I'm fine with doing this now. Although I would like more time to get chores around the house done. But the real issue will be when he is 7 months - he will be in daycare, and I will have to be to school to do my student teaching. I don't think nursing for 1 hour + in the morning will be very practical.

I'm thinking about having him eat every 2 hours and trying to cut him off at 40 minutes. What do you guys think about that.

OH, DS is 9 weeks. For the first 2 weeks he feed every 2.5/3 hours. 20 minutes on each breast, and did fine, but was very gassy, and had greenish poop. That's when I learned about hindmilk. Now he is nursing from one breast for 30/40 minutes, and then gets switch to the other one. That helped with the gas immediately, but since then he's been nursing for longer and longer periods of time.

Advertisement

proudmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
pbjmama
Registered Users

Re: Needing some advice

The good news is he will probably naturally nurse faster as he gets older. Can you feel your letdowns? Have you tried massaging the breast to stimulate another/more letdowns?
pbjmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is good to know that he should get faster. Yes, I can feel my letdowns, and I massage my breast throughout the feeding. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
rach
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that he should get faster. My dd used to nurse for an hour + when she was little like your ds. Now (and granted she is 15 months old and practically a professional lol) she can drain both breasts in less than 20 minutes. Is he swallowing the whole time? He may be sucking for comfort after he is done actually eating.
rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He eats, sucks for comfort, eats, sucks for comfort, etc. He doesn't just go to town and then suck for comfort. He changes it up through out the feeding.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like he's content at the breast. Does he take a paci? My ds didn't. He could nurse as long as I let him. Honestly, I'd cut him off after 45 min -1 hr as he may be comfort nursing. Perhaps go to a LLL meeting or speak with a lactation consultant. Can you tell if he is sucking and swallowing the entire time? It may be comfort nursing towards the end.

He'll get faster. Much faster. Especially as he becomes mobil. He'll want a quick drink and then back down where the action is. Hang in there.

Brenda
massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, now pacifier. I WISH! We have tried every pacifier under the sun, but her refused to take it. Thanks mamas for your advice. It sounds like he'll get better. Like I said. I'm OK with this now, but just want him to be better by the time daycare comes around. THANKS!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
not_a_witch
Registered Users

My son never took a paci, either....believe it or not, I was glad in the long run. I didn't have to wean him from it! :=)

A lot of babies outgrow that big need to suck around 4-6 months anyway.

If you're ok with this now, my advice would be to go with it for a little while. There is SOOOOO much change that happens between 2 and 7 months. You won't even recognize the little guy! At 2 months, my son was nursing for about 45 minutes most of the time with a marathon 2-hour session at night. Not quite as bad as what you're doing except he'd do that every 2 hours instead of every 3. Anyway, a lot of time on the breast. By 6 months, he could nurse most feedings in 5-10 minutes flat. I couldn't warm up a bottle that fast! He still liked to linger at night and first thing in the morning, but that was our cuddle time -- no biggie. And not 2 hours...maybe 30 minutes?

If you really don't want to be a human pacifier right now (and I can't blame you) then I would recommend removing him from the breast when he starts to comfort nurse, even if you know he'll switch to real nursing in a few minutes. Try other methods of comforting -- shushing, swaying, swaddling, swinging (The Happiest Baby on the Block has 5 S's...can't remember what the last one is, though.) If he actually wants to eat again, even if it's 15 minutes later, go ahead but once again remove him when he shifts to a comfort pattern.

But I really was ok with comfort nursing for a while. It made him happy and the laundry could wait. He always did a little comfort nursing, but he outgrew that huge need to suck.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I too loved "the happiest baby on the block" dvd and book. Thanks for the advice and support.

It's a good thing men don't do the breastfeeding. DH would have had DS taking formula at 2 weeks!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
Connors_Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son did the same thing. Up until 4 or so months he would nurse every 3 or so hours and would suck for at least an hour and if I tried to take it away he would get so angry. He also never took a paci so I think that was part of the issue too. Now he is nearly 11 months and he finishes 1 side in under 20 minutes. Good luck and it will get better

Please excuse any typos/grammar issues, I'm probably NAK
Connors_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote