Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cheap meals for 2ish..

I am gearing up for a summer of saving money on groceries. Since DS1 will be gone for 2 months 5/7 days of the week it'll just be me and the 2 toddlers eating dinner. I am looking for meals that are healthy, cheap, and also easy for the littles. Plus if they can be prepped ahead of time!

Advertisement

kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cheap meals for 2ish..

I think I'd do lots of grilled chicken salads for myself and just use the same chicken in some simple way for the kids. Remind me of ages again?

Pasta salads with beans and some veggies is super easy and can used for lunch and dinner.

Loaded baked potato for you and theirs can be mashes or cut up with same toppings.

Make your own hummus.

It's actually a great opportunity to save.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I think I'd do lots of grilled chicken salads for myself and just use the same chicken in some simple way for the kids. Remind me of ages again?

Pasta salads with beans and some veggies is super easy and can used for lunch and dinner.

Loaded baked potato for you and theirs can be mashes or cut up with same toppings.

Make your own hummus.

It's actually a great opportunity to save.
I do mason jar chicken salads for lunch every day so I could use the chicken for the boys but would want something different.

The boys are now (C) 27 mos and (L) 10 mos. Together they probably eat about the equivalent of one adult serving maybe a bit more.

I am open to lots of beans. DS1 hates beans so I very rarely utilize beans and how cheap they can be. So if you have any good bean recipes please share!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
abh5e8
Registered Users

Mine love Cowboy Beans... Cook cumin, chili pwd, onion, garlic and bacon. Add soaked pintos and chicken stock. Simmer until beans are soft and sauce is thick. I serve with sour cream, cilantro and either rice or corn bread. I make a huge pot and easy it all week.

Also black bean soup... Cooked black beans, frozen corn, jar salsa and chicken stock.

I like to cook a beef or pork roast all day, then eat the meat all week. Plain c carrots/potatoes, shredded c BBQ sauce on buns, in tacos and in a veggie beef soup.

Meat balls are also easy and pretty cheap. I make mine with ground beef and pork, eggs, s&p and a little garlic powder. I usually make 3# ground meat worth, cook and freeze. Then pull out just enough for a meal and heat in microwave.

My kids and I love frozen veggies... I just toss in a bowl c butter, s&p and microwave.

I steam baby carrot s in the microwave... 2-3 mins on high in a bowl c 1-2 inches water.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh getting a roast for the week is a good idea! I usually buy meat based on whatever is on sale that week. Hopefully a roast will go on sale soon!
Old 05-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Breakfast burritos, bean burritos or tostadas, pasta, tomato soup + grilled cheese sandwiches....

My friend (a mom of 8) posted her summer dinner menu an Facebook a couple of years ago: Subway, Little Caesar's, Taco Bell, repeat! That's about all I feel like doing in the summer, too. Plus I have a really hard time getting motivated with food for just me and the littles. I would probably go super easy and boring all summer.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

We grill a LOT in the summer. Hamburgers, brats, chickrn, and hot dogs all go over well with the littles (I don't actually make him a sandwich, just cut up the meat for him. Also veggies in the grill are a huge hit.

As for beans, you can't beat tacos. For DS, I mix in a bowl everything but the taco shell and he eats it like it's candy. Add plenty of cheese and sour cream to balance out the salsa and taco seasoning - this is what DS eats when he refuses all else. It's also an easy way for me to sneak veggies into him. I always stir in okenty of tomatoes and lettuce or spinach which are hard for littles to chew up otherwise. If you have the taco meat all ready, you can also use it for nachos, taco salad, hard/soft tacos, or straw hats (walking tacos? Taco toppings on tortilla or corn chips) for yourself. And don't forget you can do chicken tacos or beef tacos for some variety. Just mix a can or two of beans right in the meat.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote