Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

13 month old won't drink milk

My 13 month old won't drink cow's milk as he doesn't like it. I've also tried coconut milk. He will drink and request water.

My issues are:
a) I don't have to wean him, as I'm a SAHM and he mostly sleeps through the night. But I would really prefer for him to sort of wean himself by 18 months or so.
b) He's very skinny, 1st percentile. So I'd rather him drink whole milk than water.

What can I do? Is there some other beverage I should try?

Advertisement

BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: 13 month old won't drink milk

This isn't much help but my daughter wouldn't have anything to do with milk until she was completely weaned. I would suggest trying fat and calorie dense foods such as avocados and maybe whole milk cheeses.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Yeah my skinny kid refused every type of milk there is: soy, almond, coconut, cow, goat, hemp, flaxseed, everything except mama's milk! So I just sneak butter and whipping cream into his food, plus he has lots of cheese and yogurt. His favorite snack is cinnamon-raisin toast with butter and cream cheese. I make sure not to get anything skim or low fat.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
saturn
Registered Users

With my dd, when she was first starting cow's milk she would drink it if I mixed it with yogurt (I usually used whole milk yogurt like Yobaby). She already ate and liked yogurt so mixing it with the milk made it more acceptable, plus it was sweeter than plain milk. I gradually decreased the yogurt until she was drinking plain whole milk. I still nurse her twice a day, but she now loves whole cows milk!
I also had a friend who started her baby on water mixed with skim milk and then ramped up the fat content over time.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn
With my dd, when she was first starting cow's milk she would drink it if I mixed it with yogurt (I usually used whole milk yogurt like Yobaby). She already ate and liked yogurt so mixing it with the milk made it more acceptable, plus it was sweeter than plain milk. I gradually decreased the yogurt until she was drinking plain whole milk. I still nurse her twice a day, but she now loves whole cows milk!
I also had a friend who started her baby on water mixed with skim milk and then ramped up the fat content over time.
This is a great idea thanks!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All my children refused cow's milk at first, and with the first two I stressed. With the last two I just kept nursing and giving them yogurt and cheese, which they all liked. They also liked smoothies.

I would offer every now and then but not worry, esp. if you are still planning to nurse.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
mijamama
Registered Users

I'm still nursing too (baby 15 months old) and my daughter can't have cow milk. She took the goat milk and almond milk well....BUT... has never taken a bottle!! And wont! (And who wants to start a bottle at 15 mo anyway?) Just in the last month has she taken to a sippy cup! So....experiment maybe. She if your little one prefers one over another of the alternative milks...
mijamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
jojo2bee
Registered Users

my son is now 14 months old and has been doing the same. I also dont need to wean but would like to soon. I have no advice for you sorry just that I'm in the same boat! lol I've tryed warming it up and putting in a bottle and in a regular and a straw sippy and nothing. I tryed pumping and mixing and he didnt take 2 of the 3 bottles. I havent pumped in about 2-3 months so when I did I would barley get half an oz and I'm not going to pump all day long just to get an oz or 2. I;ve givin him some time but I'm going to try and give cow milk to him again and see what happens at this point
jojo2bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you pump at all? When I switched DD over, we did it over the course of a month. I started with 1 oz of milk and 3 of formula and slowly moved the percentage of milk up. (She wouldn't take more than 4 oz at a time.)

ETA - Oops, missed what forum this was in, but I think the point still stands.

Last edited by hbee; 11-16-2013 at 10:31 AM.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I mixed some maple syrup in with the milk at first in a sippy cup. Once she was taking it I'd put less and less in until she was drinking it straight. Now she loves milk and won't eat food.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote