Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
kaylamae
Registered Users
seller

?'s about the hospital and bringing home baby

We have met with the birth parents and will be having lunch with them next week. Baby girl is due at the end of August. Birth mom doesn't want to have contact, but birth dad does. We really connected with him and feel that the relationship will go well.
My question is, what will it be like at the hospital? Do we wait for family to meet her when we get home or do we have family come to the hospital. After the 72 hours (state law) she will be released to our custody.
I am also going to nurse and have been pumping for a month and have quite a good supply. Do I mention this to them at our next meeting or not?
I try to think what I would want to know if I were the birth mom and I feel like I wouldn't want to know.
I have read there can be baby blues. Should I be worried about this? Right now I am so excited and happy that we were chosen, that I can't image feeling blue about the process.
Thanks for your stories and advice.

Advertisement

kaylamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: ?'s about the hospital and bringing home baby

First of all, congratulations!!! Adoption is wonderful and so exciting.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, because I have not adopted, but just speaking as a mom of 6:

I would wait until you have her home before having family meet her, it just seems like it would be too much at the hospital.

That is awesome that you will be able to nurse! I think I wouldn't mention it to the birth mom though, just do it.

I didn't know about baby blues occurring in an adoption situation but I think it can be an overwhelming transition to adjust to a new baby no matter what the situation is. Just give yourself room and grace, take it slowly, and remember that even of your body isn't recovering from labor, your baby will be. Don't be in a hurry to get back to regular life, just enjoy some slow, quiet family time and don't push yourself too hard.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have adopted, but not a newborn, so I haven't been in your exact position.

I agree with MamaLama. I wouldn't bring family to the hospital, and I wouldn't let birth mom know you are planning to nurse unless she asks. I think both of those would be tough for birth mom, who will be going through a lot of grieving.

Congratulations!!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
kaylamae
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! You two have confirmed what I was feeling was best. Sometimes I just need input from other moms.
kaylamae is offline   Reply With Quote