Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
MACgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When should we introduce pumped milk/bottle to newborn?

DD (first baby) is only 2 weeks old today. DH and I are having trouble deciding when we should offer pumped milk in the bottle to baby, so that he can be apart of feedings while he is home and so I could get a break.

I don't want to confuse her and her reject the boob though.

When would be the best time to offer her the bottle?

Advertisement

MACgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my first I waited until six weeks and she took the bottle a couple of times okay but after that would not take a bottle very well. With my second baby who is now two months old we had latch issues and at two weeks she was not back up to her birthweight yet. and she is wasn't gaining because she couldn't get the milk effectively out so I had to pump milk and put it in a dr. Brown's bottle with a preemie nipple. She switched back and forth between breast and bottle very easily. Now I give her a bottle probably about once a week just to keep her used to having a bottle and she does okay. at first she looks at me like I'm crazy or whoever's feeding her. Then she remembers oh I do get milk from this and Will drink my pumped milk no problem.

So if I had to do it all over again I think I would introduce a bottle at around 2 to 4 weeks. I used A premie nipple because nearly all the slow flow nipples that I tried actually were still really fast.

Good luck and try not to stress over it. Easier said than done sometimes though.

Oh and congrats on your new little baby!

Last edited by Sarah-B; 08-28-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Re: When should we introduce pumped milk/bottle to newborn?

no advice on when but get wider nipple bottle and that i hear helps with confusion.
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My girls never had any confusion. They lost a bunch at the hospital, so they were supplemented there. We kept one of the girls on a bedtime bottle (formula, not that it really matters) so DP could help. She breastfed fine...actually, we did have to work on her latch, but that was nothing to do w/ the bottles. The other took a bottle fine at first, but then I had her ebf b/c of a dairy sensitivity & now she is less than pleased to have the bottle on the rare occasion someone else needs to feed her. No confusion, she's just stubborn
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
abbeysmom
Registered Users
seller

We started DS at about 4-5 weeks and he was able to take a bottle at daycare no problem. The thing is, you can't just offer a couple of times, you have to keep doing it regularly.
abbeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeysmom View Post
We started DS at about 4-5 weeks and he was able to take a bottle at daycare no problem. The thing is, you can't just offer a couple of times, you have to keep doing it regularly.
This. We had DH give a bottle a couple times a week. With our first 2 babies, we didn't keep it up and both eventually rejected the bottle altogther (and when I had to suddenly be away from DD2 for 4 days at 7 months, she refused a bottle the entire time and had to be spoon fed milk by the babysitter!). So we kept up regular bottles with the next 2 babies.

IME, once the nursing relationship is established and milk is in, then is the best time. So at 2-3 weeks. Even my babies with poor latches had no issues with nipple confusion.

Last edited by Melinda29; 09-08-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I gave all my babies bottles starting around 2 weeks. I usually gave them 1 a day of pumped milk. I didn't have any problems with them rejecting the boob with just one a day. That came when I went back to work and they started getting bottles all day long... Then the fight was on.
gabby's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
chula198705
Registered Users
seller

We followed the advice of not introducing a bottle for the first 4 weeks, but then when we finally did introduce it, she didn't like it. She's 9 months now and she still doesn't like the bottle. If I had to do it again, I'd just introduce her from the start.
chula198705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
browneyedcountrygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

with my first 2 I gave a bottle at 3 wks n they would always take it great or bf , whatever I wanted, w the last lo I waited longer like 6 wk n she will only take the bottle from my one sister!!
browneyedcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #10
Jngraves
Registered Users
seller

Following. I have a two week old. Im going back to work when she is 6-7 months old and I don't think it's a good idea to wait that long to introduce a bottle
Jngraves is offline   Reply With Quote