Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #31
CandiceM
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberlily View Post
If you hate large crowds and want to do some adventurous things I would recommend the maritimes. You can hit up the bay of fundy and go tidal bore rafting (seriously, check it out) you can quickly travel to all 3 maritime provinces (New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia) There is TONS of history out there if that's what you're into. There are also a lot of music festivals/local stuff going on all over.
I would definitely recommend taking the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. PEI is always beautiful, red beaches, beautiful farm land, if you're a foodie it's definitely a great place to find some unique and delicious eats at nice restaurants.

Personally I would never recommend Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal/Calgary etc to anyone for a first time vacation to Canada. Just me, but I don't feel like a big concrete slab with tall buildings captures our culture at all. It's not like any of our large cities are lacking something any of the large cities in the US are lol
This! I was born in Cape Breton, raised in the Annapolis Valley and I love PEI (My kid's name is Avonlea, lol) It's a wonderful place to visit, especially during the summer. Plus, with everything being so close (Cape Breton will be your longest drive) it's easy to see/do lots of different things.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Plus there ARE larger cities in the maritimes too. I mean, it's funny coming from me, because I'm a total prairie girl at heart...but I lived in Cape Breton for the last 2 years and I think it is an amazing vacation spot. There are tons of beatiful little romantic B&Bs right on the ocean. There are whale watching tours, kayaking adventures ahh, so much stuff to do out where it's so wild because it's still vastly unpopulated.

I lived in Vancouver for 3 years while going to school, and while it has a lot of attractions, I wouldn't want to ruin my vacation by visiting a whole new country and seeing the same thing I see everywhere else lol. Travelling in BC for something new and totally (imo) Canadian would be to go to the Haida Gwaii (aka the Queen Charlotte Islands). It's this totally magical little strip of islands off the coast of norhtern bc, there is a LOT of native culture there and the native people have been fighting very hard to reclaim their land and their culture, it's kind of amazing really.

I could also tell you all the amazing things about places in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, seeing as how you've been told not to go sight seeing in either province, I'm not really sure why. Just stay off the trans-canada in these provinces because you will pass everything by and see nothing but wheat fields, that's kind of the point of the trans canada, to get from point a to point b as quickly as possibly. Want to be adventurous, go on a horseback camping trip of Saskatchewan....go sail boating on Lake Diefenbaker, it blows my mind when people from Canada think there is nothing to do in the prairies besides go to Calgary or Edmonton.

I could probably write you a whole travel book on how much I've travelled around Canada lol
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #33
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
We go to PEI every year! I have family there. And we love it! We would live there if we could!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #34
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oooooo! Go here!

http://www.painterslodge.com/

It's on Vancouver Island.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #35
magoose
Registered Users

I Quebec City. DH and I went there for our honeymoon. Rich in history, culture, and the food is amazing!! We went back there every year until we started having kids. Love it. We speak a little bit of french, enough to get by, but every restaurant we went to and all the hotels we stayed at spoke to us in English and were very polite. Love it there.

I'm also a big fan of Niagara Falls, but it's pretty touristy and pretty crowded. I love all the kitschy stuff though. DH and I use to frequent that area a lot too.

East Coast is lovely. I love New Brunswick, PEI...so beautiful.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #36
mommmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We drove down to BC visited Vancouver, Victoria Island, and then went to Jasper and Banff in Alberta- beautiful x 1000000! never been to the east coast but heard its gorgeous as well
Emily , SAHM to Ava (08/08), Connor (01/10), Adrian (01/11), Logan (12/11) , Hannah and Olivia (12/12) , and expecting #100
mommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #37
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I live in central Alberta, and have been to all provinces except the maritimes. For a romantic holiday, away from crowds while still having things to do, I would recommend Banff/Jasper/Lake Louise area. Hands down one of my favorite places to go in the world! It's absolutely breathtaking there, and there's lots to do depending on what time of year you go. Banff is my favorite, we actually were married at the top of Sulphur Mountain. You can ride a gondola up the mountain, you can go canoeing on the river, you can walk the Bow Falls Trail, you can visit the hot springs, you can just tour around the cute little shops they have (they have a Christmas store, candy store, and ice cream stores that are to die for!), plus they have awesome restaurants!! Melissa's is the one of my favorite breakfast places, and the Grizzly House is out of this world, you get to choose cheese fondue or an oil fondue with vegetables in it, then you get to pick from a ton of exotic meats that you grill yourself on a hot stone, then a chocolate fondue and fruit to finish. AH-MAY-ZING! Scenery is gorgeous, and in my opinion it's one of the perfect places for couples to go.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:43 AM   #38
DanielaLee
Banned

I will be travelling from Germany to Vancouver on 27th December. Then few days later I plan to enter USA via road. and later back to Vancouver via road. And then after few days flight back to Germany. Do I need to eTA for Canada ?
DanielaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #39
littlewoolybaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaLee View Post
I will be travelling from Germany to Vancouver on 27th December. Then few days later I plan to enter USA via road. and later back to Vancouver via road. And then after few days flight back to Germany. Do I need to eTA for Canada ?
Depends on your citizenship. If you are not a Canadian or US national, then likely yes though there may be additional entry requirements. If you are an EU national than yes, just fill out the online form. Also note that if you, or anyone traveling with you, is a dual national Canadian they must enter Canada on their valid Canadian passport. The law changed on this last year and a lot of people were caught out.

Last edited by littlewoolybaby; 12-16-2017 at 04:02 PM.
littlewoolybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #40
Vetta
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestiri View Post
Hi there, guys! I am going to Visit Toronto next month. Are the taxis near the airport there good? Maybe it will be better to order a taxi in advance using some services or Uber? Recommend me something, please!
I would recommend you to book transfer there online. Here is a very nice and cool service for it - https://gettransfer.com/en/transfers/new I think you will like how it works a lot and it will come in handy. Good luck with it, guys. Hope I helped

Last edited by Vetta; 05-11-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Vetta is offline   Reply With Quote