Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

Re: When did you move your LO to a booster?

We didn't have much room in the back seat either. My husband drove an F150 (older) so that really limited what we could fit!

Advertisement

Tshebby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
3boys_mom
Registered Users

My boys were in a booster around ages 4 (4 1/2 or so). They sit nice.

My girls are still in 5pt at ages 5 1/2 and just turned 4. They are only in boosters for one trip each week when they are with the grandparents. I don't trust either of them sitting nicely long enough to just be in boosters (hence the 5pt).

But for the trip with g'rents, they are good enough.

My youngest only turned FF over the summer. The younger three are all in Graco Nautilus.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #13
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I booster train the summer before Kindergarten. That way my child knows how to sit in a booster once s/he starts going to kinder (and it is possible that in an emergency I might have someone else pick them up). That means that DD booster trained at 4y9m and DS booster-trained at 5y0m.

DD continued to use a booster for local rides (under 1 hr), but was harnessed for all long trips after booster training. She went to a booster full-time (including trips) at 5.5yo when she outgrew her rfing seat. She never rode in a ffing harnessed seat. DD is now 8.5 and still rides in a hbb.

DS is 6.5yo and still rides rf. He knows how to ride in a booster in case of an emergency, but he never rides in one. He has a significant bone age delay. His bones are only 2years old, so he rides in the car like a 2 year old would, because in an accident, his bones will behave like a 2yo's bones would. A 2yo is significantly safer rfing, so DS rides rfing. We keep having to buy him bigger rfing seats, but that is the price of safety and we are willing to pay it rather than have him severely injured or killed in an accident because his bones cannot take the stress. Such is life. Eventually he will start growing properly, right?

Last edited by lanwenyi; 12-16-2015 at 07:14 AM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
crsna8
Registered Users

I wouldn't say that he is particularly large. My 3 year 9 month old is 37lbs and just rode forward for the first time this week. We're going to discuss flipping her back to rear facing when they get home. It made it a lot easier on my husband for her to be forward while they were away.

At home she is rarely in the car. We can easily go 1-3 weeks without strapping her in at all.

My oldest we started booster training just after 5 years. For long drives we always harnessed her. She is 7.5 now and officially boostered full time, even trips =( darn kid just doesn't fit in anything we have and I can't afford a frontier.
crsna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
ljjathome
Registered Users

My Mood:

We switched from her convertible seat to a high backed booster that had a five point harness (as well as the ability to use the car's shoulder belt). our tall little girl may have hit the weight/height requirements sooner than her peers, and HAD to get out of her convertible seat. we found a developmental checklist (on Britax's website?) that helped us determine when she was ready to get out of the 5 pt harness and into the high backed booster, using the shoulder belt of the car.

Best of Luck!
ljjathome is offline   Reply With Quote