Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
ClemsonMama87
Registered Users
Formerly: macsmommy10
seller
seller

My Mood:
What would be your 1 big splurge?

If you could buy any one moderate-to-high-priced item for your baby, what would it be?

For me, it would one of those expensive side-by-side double strollers that could be used from birth. I would want a side-by-side so that DD & DS could both recline if they get tired A moderate splurge for me would be Aden+Anais blankets. They're so cute but I can't justify buying any lol.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would be your 1 big splurge?

I'd also love those blankets. My friend has them and I understand what the hype is all about. I should look into buying muslin, curious as to the prices.

I'd like an amber necklace for this LO. It'll happen but right now it would be a splurge as there's more important things to get for the birth. I'm going to wait until LO is maybe a month or two old before ordering one.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
I'd also love those blankets. My friend has them and I understand what the hype is all about. I should look into buying muslin, curious as to the prices.
I haven't checked into it yet, but my mother said that Joann (the craft store) has muslin REALLY cheap. She was actually shocked that people use it for swaddling. If it's decent quality, I will definitely be making my own!!

As for splurges, yikes - everything is a splurge right now, so we haven't bought anything. I'm hoping after tax and bonus season that we can catch up a little. If I could, I'd buy an actual co-sleeper (we have a queen bed, so DH, me, DS, and the newbie won't work! We're going to use the pack & play for now). I also want another Beco carrier - mine isn't made for an infant.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnzsOut View Post
I haven't checked into it yet, but my mother said that Joann (the craft store) has muslin REALLY cheap. She was actually shocked that people use it for swaddling. If it's decent quality, I will definitely be making my own!!
Checked out their website... Less than $3 for unbleached, less than $2 for bleached muslin. I'm making my own!! Curious as to how to finish the edges, I would think zip zag would look messy. This may work as a good fabric for hankies too

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Checked out their website... Less than $3 for unbleached, less than $2 for bleached muslin. I'm making my own!! Curious as to how to finish the edges, I would think zip zag would look messy. This may work as a good fabric for hankies too
I stopped in a Joann today, and they had a ton of unbleached muslin for various prices. The next time I get a coupon, I'm going to go buy a couple of yards. The highest price I saw was 7.99/yard and most of those were really, really wide. The cheapest muslin has to be washed in the delicate cycle and hung to dry. Since my washer doesn't have anything like a delicate cycle, I'll probably get something mid-range. I looked at some Aden & Anais blankets today, too, and for the edges, they just fold it a few times, then straight stitch it. The A&A muslin was different than the muslin at Joann, but both were soft and super lightweight.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnzsOut View Post
I stopped in a Joann today, and they had a ton of unbleached muslin for various prices. The next time I get a coupon, I'm going to go buy a couple of yards. The highest price I saw was 7.99/yard and most of those were really, really wide. The cheapest muslin has to be washed in the delicate cycle and hung to dry. Since my washer doesn't have anything like a delicate cycle, I'll probably get something mid-range. I looked at some Aden & Anais blankets today, too, and for the edges, they just fold it a few times, then straight stitch it. The A&A muslin was different than the muslin at Joann, but both were soft and super lightweight.
My friend has some Aden swaddles she's going to give me

I'm still going to get some muslin yardage as I'd like to use it for belly binding. Just need to figure out how much to get. We have a 'delicate' cycle. But it's just a shorter cycle, there's nothing delicate about it!

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I'd like an amber necklace for this LO. It'll happen but right now it would be a splurge as there's more important things to get for the birth. I'm going to wait until LO is maybe a month or two old before ordering one.
I found a great price on Amazon with free shipping for the Aden and Anais Bamboo Swaddles for 3 for $38! I've paid $22 for one (including tax) and $45 for 3 of these bamboo swaddles. I love them!! They are so much softer even than the cotton ones, although the cotton ones are fabulous too!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess a splurge would be a new baby swing. I would love one to replace the one we have, but I can't justify buying one. A moderate splurge would be some really cute girl clothing bought new. I'm getting a bunch of hand me downs, but it would be so much fun to shop for new ones!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A chicco infant carseat with the chicco brand snap and go stroller. They're so expensive
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
crunch!910
Registered Users

Well, our splurge will be a brand new swing that has a plug in option. I will NOT buy a swing that has only battery option, and haven't found a plug in swing in consignment stores yet. I'll keep looking, but think we will end up buying new.

I'm a carseat nazi, so we did buy a new carseat this time around that would specifically fit best in a small Kia Rio, so we got a Chicco KeyFit. We don't have matching stroller as I see that as pointless. We bought a much less expensive stroller for DS awhile back. DS can walk, baby in stroller, or DS can ride and baby be in baby carrier.

And I already kinda splurged on clothing. $40 at a Once Upon a Child last Friday. Oops. But, they were things we needed. I didn't have matching/nice outfits or shorts for baby coming in spring/summer. So I got a few 0-3 mo outfits with thin stretch pants, and some 3-6 summer/shorts outfits. (DS1 was winter baby, so everything except for onesies in 3-6 is completely innappropriate for spring/summer baby!)