Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
jacquelynchan
Registered Users

Do I just have a heavy wetter????

Alright...I THINK i have a heavy wetter....what really constitutes that.

She's 6 months old, we use Bumgenius pockets, I wanted to get away from the BG microfiber inserts because of compression leaks. A friend let me have a couple alva 3 layer bamboo inserts, and I loved them. So trim! So now I went and bought 50 of the dang things, and they're in use in every diaper all day, but she can barely make the 2 hour mark most times without leaking. My fit is good, it's just not enough to hold her over....is it because these inserts aren't good enough? Or is this a case of a heavy wetter?

What could I be using as daytime inserts instead? I have a few of this and that. I just bought 3 Premium JoeyBunz to use at night, and I still put an Alva 3 layer on top of it.

I have some prefolds, but it's kind of annoying to stuff them.

I have FST, but those are a little annoying too.

I want something easy, no folding required! Should I be using hemp all day? I thought hemp absorbs slowly, so that's why I put the Alva insert on top of the JoeyBunz in the nighttime. HEEELP! I'LL TRY ANYTHING!!!

Advertisement

jacquelynchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do I just have a heavy wetter????

Are you only stuffing with 1 of the bamboo inserts? One isn't enough for most kids. You'll prob need 2 in each pocket to make it work. 1 is more like a doubler than an insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Lilaalil
Registered Users
seller

I would just experiment with different combinations of what you already have. Maybe try the alva with a flour sack towel? If combining inserts is too bulky, and you can afford it, then the thirsties size 1 hemp prefolds are awesome, and very trim. They do need to be folded in half to stuff in a pocket, though. I use one in a pocket overnight, and haven't had any problem with it not absorbing fast enough.

Before buying anything else though, make sure that you actually do need more absorbency. When you get leaks, are the inserts totally soaked? If not, then your problem could be repelling, poor fit (cycle uour baby's legs atound and make sure there are no gaps), or your baby just peeing to much, too fast, for the stay-dry layer to let it through to the absorbent layers. The last was my problem with pockets for quite some time.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Lilaalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Lilaalil
Registered Users
seller

Do I just have a heavy wetter????

Oh, you can also find hemp fleece doublers on eBay that are quite thin, and not very expensive. If absorbency is your problem, then one or 2 of those in with your alva could give you a bit of extra absorbency, while remaining trim.

I have no experience with the alva inserts, btw, so don't know exactly what combo would be best. Just might take a bit of experimentation.

Last edited by Lilaalil; 07-06-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Lilaalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
jacquelynchan
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28 View Post
Are you only stuffing with 1 of the bamboo inserts? One isn't enough for most kids. You'll prob need 2 in each pocket to make it work. 1 is more like a doubler than an insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes i'm only using one per....I'll give two a try!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Mumaluvnz
Registered Users

Gosh 1 is so thin It wouldn't even be enough for my super light wetter for 2 hours, see how you go with 2
Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
jacquelynchan
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilaalil View Post
I would just experiment with different combinations of what you already have. Maybe try the alva with a flour sack towel? If combining inserts is too bulky, and you can afford it, then the thirsties size 1 hemp prefolds are awesome, and very trim. They do need to be folded in half to stuff in a pocket, though. I use one in a pocket overnight, and haven't had any problem with it not absorbing fast enough.

Before buying anything else though, make sure that you actually do need more absorbency. When you get leaks, are the inserts totally soaked? If not, then your problem could be repelling, poor fit (cycle uour baby's legs atound and make sure there are no gaps), or your baby just peeing to much, too fast, for the stay-dry layer to let it through to the absorbent layers. The last was my problem with pockets for quite some time.

Good luck!

Yes, normally, the insert is full, sometimes all they way the the very back end...I'll give layering two of them a try, and I would love to give those thirsties a try too. I have one single thristies insert, that has the cotton on the outside, but I never use it cause it takes ages to dry!, so maybe that pre fold may be a good idea, and I'll just have to take that extra 5 seconds to prep a diaper I know my diapers aren't repelling, I thought they were last month, but then I researched and saw that I needed pressure for the stay dry to absorb. THANK YOU!