Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

Recovery time?

I am scheduled to have c-section #3 in 7 short weeks. The first two were emergent and this will be my first planned surgery. My memory is really foggy about recovery. I am wondering how realistic it is for me to be able to walk 1/2 a mile on a gravel driveway 2 times a day to get dd to the school bus one week after delivery. I'll likely have the baby and 2 1/2 year old with me as well. I'm thinking it wil be fine, but want some reassurance...or someone to tell me I'm crazy.

Advertisement

Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
uphillskiing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't have been able to manage that but I also feel like I healed slower than many other people I knew with sections. I had a friend who was hiking mountains 3 weeks out. But I remember it being a big deal to walk slowly through a campground to get to the rest station at 4 weeks. So I think it's really individualized.
uphillskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Recovery time?

I had my third c/s at the end of December and 3 weeks later I was going to school. I walked about a mile taking my son to school right around then too. I had to take it really slow though and my insides were still hurting a bit then. It also made bleeding worse for a little bit.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Hum Bums
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had really fast recoveries with my first two that were planned, but there is no way that I could walk that much daily at only 1 weeks PP. The best thing I think to do is to get an abdominal binder, so you can at least control your muscles a bit more and walk normally, rather than hunched over.
Here's the one I used after my last surgery. It was alright. My only complaint was that I have some fat at the top of my stomach just because of how I am shaped and it would squish out and that was uncomfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

ETA: I wore mine lower than they are showing in the pics, which is probably why my fat roll came out. lol
I prefered to have it down around my scar area, or just above it. It helped a TON. I didn't have a binder at all with #1 and walking was next to impossible after her.
Voluntarily left Mod duties due to busy life!

Last edited by Hum Bums; 03-04-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Oh no way! I did a big shopping trip at around 2 weeks with my first two and that hurt! Walking that much after one week would have been awful.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
sierrarv
Registered Users

At one week pp with my first I wasn't able to walk around the house without my insides feeling like they were on fire! One week with my 2nd I was able to walk about 1/2 block near our house. Veeeeery slowly and with my husband carrying baby. Depends on the person and the surgery. Both of mine were unplanned and I laboured for 42 hrs before the first and 8 hrs before the 2nd. First was stuck tho so also caused a tear when he was pulled out. And both were bigger babies being pulled out (pulling out a 9lb baby versus 6lb is a big difference in stretching and pushing as they pull)
sierrarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, ladies. Both of my previous sections were following labors with many, many hours of unsuccessful pushing. I am hoping recovery time will be easier and maybe even faster.
I tend to overdo things and pay the price later. I'm trying to do better this time around. I'll ask some friends if they wouldn't mind coming over to help get her to the bus so I'll just have to pick her up.

Hum Bums-I've never used an abdominal binder before. I'm definitely going to look into that. It seems as though it would be very helpful.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, ladies. Both of my previous sections were following labors with many, many hours of unsuccessful pushing. I am hoping recovery time will be easier and maybe even faster.
I tend to overdo things and pay the price later. I'm trying to do better this time around. I'll ask some friends if they wouldn't mind coming over to help get her to the bus so I'll just have to pick her up.

Hum Bums-I've never used an abdominal binder before. I'm definitely going to look into that. It seems as though it would be very helpful.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Hum Bums
Registered Users
seller
seller

It helped sooo much with #2. With both of them, I went shopping for things at one week PP and with #1 I was barely moving about the store and had to find places to sit. With #2 I was at least able to walk upright and not need a break but it was still slow going. DH had to go back to work 10 days PP and I had to start lifting my 16m old into her high chair and crib. It wasn't too awful but wasn't easy either.

Here's a nice little blog post about abdominal binding PP.

http://csectionrecovery.net/aftercse...omach-binding/
Voluntarily left Mod duties due to busy life!
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

My husband is scheduled to go back to work at 7 days pp. but, his dad isn't doing all that well, so if dh needs to go to visit him before the baby is born that length will be shortened. Dh has never been home for any amount of time after I've been released from the hospital before. This will be a new experience for us. I'm looking forward to having some help!