Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #91
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: September Chat

Oh good! He's probably had surgeries before for this, but it seems like that would be a hard thing at 12. Glad to hear it went well.

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #92
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

He's had surgeries before. What's going to be tough about this is that he can't do anything active--no running, jumping, biking, etc for six weeks.

The school speech therapist is driving me crazy so much that I'd really like to pull kiddo out, but if I do I will have to travel several miles one way every week to get him to the speech place, and he really does need the speech help. So I don't really want to take him out, except I really don't think she is being helpful. I'm going to talk to her when I pick him up today and hope I see some changes. I wish I could go back to the first steps ST.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #93
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad to hear nephew is doing well.

I think I registered with Amazon with the last two.

Been busy wet vaccing all morning.

Luckily, a friend is dropping my son off from co-op. People were driving very poorly in the rain this morning.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #94
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also, what don't you like about the speech person?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #95
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Also, what don't you like about the speech person?

She keeps shrugging off my concerns which makes me batty. But the main reason is because one of the biggest problems kiddo has is that he doesn't carry over/generalize things he has learned from one area to another. Example--he used to say 'bye' for potty (which was confusing!!). It took many weeks to improve it in therapy, and then we really had to hit it hard at home before he would use it consistently here. Even then he wouldn't integrate it into his regular speech, it took a lot more practice and repetition before he would use the word properly with grandma, or at the store, etc. So when he works on a skill, he needs a LOT of reinforcement. I told the therapist this, and told her we would love to help his progress by working with him at home. I asked her to send us things they were working on and ideas to try with him at home so that he would start to integrate some of what he is learning. Every other therapist I've ever worked with has told me that this kind of parent involvement is incredibly important. Instead of working with me though, she is sending home a small list of like 6 words that he has mastered to 'build his confidence' and saying that she will work on new stuff with him in speech only. The words she sent home he has been saying right for at least a year. And he's never going to actually use the stuff he's working on in real life if she won't let me work with him at home. Meanwhile, she tells me how proud she is of herself (??) that she got him to say 'up' with the right end sound.... he has done that with modeling for a while. He uses it correctly at home. He won't do it with her because she's new and the child does not integrate well!

Random weird question of the day--if I was to call a rehab center, mental or behavior health center or the like, could they tell me if someone was there? Or would that violate HIPPA or something?

Last edited by jen_batten; 09-18-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #96
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Can't you just take him to another speech person?
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #97
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Jen, glad to hear your nephew is doing well. I can't imagine the next several weeks are going to be easy for him, but hopefully he understands the importance of it, so it'll be a little easier on him. I know for myself and my kids, understanding the reasoning behind something makes it easier to bear.

As for the speech therapist, I would be quite frustrated and upset with that treatment. I understand that she's the professional, but you are the mama and you have a better insight into how the child works. She should be willing to work with you, and should be excited and happy to know that you want to work with her. If she's not willing to make some changes, I think for his best interest, you're going to have to drive further. Annoying, I know. I drove a half hour to get my kids to speech at one point because the schools here in Oklahoma don't provide services to homeschoolers. At least, the ones in Jones don't. Aiden went to the local elementary school for speech when we were in Alaska and they were wonderful.

So, for your random question, I have absolutely no idea. I don't think that would violate HIPPA, as they wouldn't be discussing treatment or diagnosis, just confirming that someone is there. I would probably just call and see. Worse thing that happens is they tell you that they are not allowed to disclose that information, in which case, you're no worse off than now.

So, part of me really likes that on Tuesdays I sit for virtually the entire day, since on Mondays I'm on my feet moving virtually the entire day. On the other hand, it makes it difficult to get motivated to do anything in the evening when I'm free to do so. I would like to go to bed, but I still have to wait for the pressure canner to de-pressure so I can take the beef stock out before going to bed. I almost left it for tomorrow, but I am baking in the morning, as well as going out to the garden, and in the afternoon Natalie and I are going to a friend's house to hang out and do some crafting. Aiden has an informal job interview tomorrow before church, which throws off my dinner plans. I suppose we'll eat dinner after church instead.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #98
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I won an EBay lot of workhorses and the seller hasn't shipped yet. I paid on Saturday.

I have been walking every morning with my mom. We added weights this week and I am sore! It has changed my mornings so much. I come back from the walk and get straight to the shower. I am always ready to tackle the day when I get out. I have never been able to wake up before the kids but since starting the walking, I have time before they get up to get my thoughts together. We are also starting school earlier. All around win.

We don't go every day, usually the rain or DH's schedule makes us miss a couple a week. Just thought I'd share my progress.

I have to make a journey into our big town soon and I just don't want to. Not like me. We are usually up for an adventure.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #99
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Can't you just take him to another speech person?
There is no one in town except the school. I can take him to the dr to get a referral to go to an outpatient clinic and get services through them (next town) but it would be a hassle for sure. I think I've decided to try talking to her once more and if I don't see some improvement, taking that route. It occurred to me that since most kids are pulled from the preschool class for speech, and then sent back to preschool, she isn't used to working with parents. Normally she wouldn't even see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
So, for your random question, I have absolutely no idea. I don't think that would violate HIPPA, as they wouldn't be discussing treatment or diagnosis, just confirming that someone is there. I would probably just call and see. Worse thing that happens is they tell you that they are not allowed to disclose that information, in which case, you're no worse off than now.
I'm going to, I was just stewing it over in my mind and wondering what to expect. I need to call them, and I also need to call a midwife. I keep putting it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I won an EBay lot of workhorses and the seller hasn't shipped yet. I paid on Saturday.

I have been walking every morning with my mom. We added weights this week and I am sore! It has changed my mornings so much. I come back from the walk and get straight to the shower. I am always ready to tackle the day when I get out. I have never been able to wake up before the kids but since starting the walking, I have time before they get up to get my thoughts together. We are also starting school earlier. All around win.

We don't go every day, usually the rain or DH's schedule makes us miss a couple a week. Just thought I'd share my progress.

I have to make a journey into our big town soon and I just don't want to. Not like me. We are usually up for an adventure.
Hopefully they have shipped and didn't update tracking! Have you contacted them at all?

Good for you on the regular exercise! It really does make a big difference in the way you feel. I want to start walking more regularly as well, but I am waiting til it cools back down a bit. DH leaves too early for me to go by myself (it's still dark), so I usually end up taking everyone with me, but still better than nothing.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #100
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
She keeps shrugging off my concerns which makes me batty. But the main reason is because one of the biggest problems kiddo has is that he doesn't carry over/generalize things he has learned from one area to another. Example--he used to say 'bye' for potty (which was confusing!!). It took many weeks to improve it in therapy, and then we really had to hit it hard at home before he would use it consistently here. Even then he wouldn't integrate it into his regular speech, it took a lot more practice and repetition before he would use the word properly with grandma, or at the store, etc. So when he works on a skill, he needs a LOT of reinforcement. I told the therapist this, and told her we would love to help his progress by working with him at home. I asked her to send us things they were working on and ideas to try with him at home so that he would start to integrate some of what he is learning. Every other therapist I've ever worked with has told me that this kind of parent involvement is incredibly important. Instead of working with me though, she is sending home a small list of like 6 words that he has mastered to 'build his confidence' and saying that she will work on new stuff with him in speech only. The words she sent home he has been saying right for at least a year. And he's never going to actually use the stuff he's working on in real life if she won't let me work with him at home. Meanwhile, she tells me how proud she is of herself (??) that she got him to say 'up' with the right end sound.... he has done that with modeling for a while. He uses it correctly at home. He won't do it with her because she's new and the child does not integrate well!

Random weird question of the day--if I was to call a rehab center, mental or behavior health center or the like, could they tell me if someone was there? Or would that violate HIPPA or something?
This sounds like the ultimate frustration. I get talking to her again but it sounds like she doesn't get it and you should figure out how to find someone who does.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote