Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
yogamama23
Registered Users
seller

Mirena vs Paraguard IUD

I thought I wanted to go with Paraguard but then learned about the likelihood of heavier bleeding. I wanted to avoid the hormones associated with Mirena but the midwife resident said Mirena hormones stay more local, not systemic and can be protective against some cancers. I have a friend that kept getting bacterial vaginosis with Mirena. So torn.

Advertisement

yogamama23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had a very bad experience with Mirena and would never recommend it. In fact everyone that I know irl that got it had a bad experience.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
yogamama23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mirena vs Paraguard IUD

Good to know. Was it infection or something else?
Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

I have used both. Paraguard definitely caused heavier periods that were more painful. Mirena eventually stopped all periods. I am very sensitive to hormones but was assured that due to it being localized it wouldn't effect me. After a couple of years with it I was getting these horrible stabbing pains in my temples (headaches) that would come and go for no reason. I also had a huge decrease in my libido. Finally I researched some side effects of Mirena, removed it, and the headaches stopped and my mood improved. So personally, I wont use either again. Sorry, that probably doesn't help your choice.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Lyn1Lyn
Registered Users
seller

The one time, I decided to go against my Let God Decide plan, I had the paragard.. Immediately started getting daily headaches, had long heavy periods 10+days. Complained to the doctor at the 6 month mark that it needed to be removed. He didn't remove it, said give it some time. At 1 year I wound up in the ER because I was hemorraging and when they looked, they found an ectopic pregnancy in my right tube. wound up on 2 cycles of methotrexate shots. It really sucked!! That was the last time I decided to play God...lol.. I do not recommend the Paragard.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had paragaurd for the last two years with zero issue, I didn't even have a period (I am still nursing a toddle though). I just had it removed to try for baby #4 but plan to get another afterward.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerCB
I have used both. Paraguard definitely caused heavier periods that were more painful. Mirena eventually stopped all periods. I am very sensitive to hormones but was assured that due to it being localized it wouldn't effect me. After a couple of years with it I was getting these horrible stabbing pains in my temples (headaches) that would come and go for no reason. I also had a huge decrease in my libido. Finally I researched some side effects of Mirena, removed it, and the headaches stopped and my mood improved. So personally, I wont use either again. Sorry, that probably doesn't help your choice.
One of my friends had this same thing happen to her with the mirena and had to have it removed. My sister just got it in February of this year and she has less period days and clearer skin and likes mirena so far. My other sister has had the copper iud for 8-9 yrs now and does have cramps and heavy periods but she is a nurse and thinks it's important to bleed each month because that is what our bodies are designed to do and since mirena sometimes takes your period away that is why she chose paraguard.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerCB View Post

This was me too. I tried both. I now use a Caya diaphragm and love it!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I bled almost non stop in mirena and suffered severe vertigo and mood swings. They tried to say the vertigo was not caused by the mirena but I researched it and found many others had the same issue. I had it taken out after nine months and literally immediately the vertigo went away.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
yogamama23
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm not sure that this has helped my decision although I think I might look into a diaphragm.