Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
emilyclaire
Registered Users

no-poo

What is your favorite no-poo concoction? I tried baking soda/acv but it was destroying my hair so I'm currently trying rye flour, finger's crossed.

Advertisement

emilyclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: no-poo

Have not heard of using rye flour! How's that going? We have gotten away from no-poo but nobody washes their hair more than once a week around here. Family of curly-heads.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My sister uses something. I will have to ask her what it is and let you know. Honestly though, I don't think no poo works. My sister's hair is greasy and dirty looking. I don't have the heart to tell her though as she is very proud of going no poo. I don't know many who go no poo but those that I do think their hair looks great when it actually looks dirty.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
rpneffshade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No-poo success seems to depend on the length and thickness of one's hair. When my very thick hair was down to the middle of my back, all I had to do to keep my hair clean was rinse it and put coconut oil in it every day. Now that it's shorter, I need to use Dr. Bronner's twice a week to keep it from getting too oily.
rpneffshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 AM   #5
OklaFarmMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried baking soda, it was okay, but seemed to take a lot of work... How often do you wash your hair? If I had tried to use that often I'm sure it would have roughed me up. Mine depends on the temps. During the winter I can go over a week without washing my hair. I know. I know. That sounds so icky. But it wont be greasy at all. During the summer it can be as often as every other day.

I used a bar soap from a etsy seller treefortnautral's it's a stout oatmeal beer soap or something like that, and I would rinse with ACV. I love what ACV does to my hair. I used that for the better part of a year, then my mom showed me Monat (she decided to sell it). It's not no poo, but I think it is pretty wonderful. They use safe all natural stuff. My hair is kinda mid range, not thick, but not fine. I keep it very long. Monat is the only thing I have found that adds a bit of body to my hair without damaging it. That and the nice smell is why I like it more then the bar soap. Sometimes I still use ACV in place of the conditioner... Oh yeah it also helps with new hair growth. My husband is not as bald as he was, and my aunt has hair growing in a scar she got as a teenager, she is in her 30s now.

So Monat or a oat meal beer soap gets my vote.

Oh if someone wants to use an oil for a leave in coconut is my fave. Love that stuff!

IHA crochet skills, or PayPal
OklaFarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
Triciaj1
Registered Users
seller

I want to try but too nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triciaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I did it for a while and it just stopped working one day and progressively got worse. I did cut back on how often I wash it but I go to the gym frequently AND I work a very physical and dirty job and need to shower often so it never seems to work out for me. I wash my hair once every 2 to 3 days and just wet it or use cornstarch on the greasy spots on the other days to keep it nice and I get compliments daily on my hair so I guess it can't look too bad. I can' STAND greasy hair. It's one of my major pet peeves.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:54 AM   #8
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think there are so many ideas about what "no-poo" means that we're seldom talking the same language...and a lot of that depends on why you want to be no-poo. I drank the DS Kool-Aid years ago & did the whole bs/acv thing. Sure it's more natural, but it's very harsh on your hair. So I was still using conditioner & stylers, b/c just bs & acv made my hair look worse than it had before. So I tried some different concoctions, including things like all natural shampoo bars. I started b/c of some scalp psoriasis; it got better for a while, but then I had an outbreak I just couldn't get rid of.I also stumbled onto a group supporting natural curly hair care. They primarily plug Curly Girl: The Handbook & in part the Deva Curl products, including their labeled No-Poo cleanser. That group provided me a lot more support to try different products & routines. I've tried lots of natural products, homemade potions, & mass-retail sulfate- & silicone-free products. It helped me understand my hair properties & what to look for in products...so I now low-poo (shampoo w/ a sulfate-free product) & use my "natural" & silicone-fres conditioner & atylers.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:25 AM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

The Curly Girl method really was what helped me control my frizz/mess. It also kinda made me mostly love my curls/waves and stop trying to flat iron the crap out of it. I currently use curly girl approved shampoo and conditioner and a sea salt spray of my own making(with approved stuff) and I've never been happier with my hair. I NEVER brush it. And it's healthy and shiny and mostly frizz-free. My frizz days are pouring rain days or days I'm at work in a humid greenhouse and that's just something that no method will ever conquer. So I'm thrilled. The "no-poo" meaning almost NEVER wash just never worked for me.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I tried the no poo but I have straight fine hair and all I noticed is that is was oily after a while. I tried for two months only washing a few time and I finally gave up. My hair looked no different doing no-poo or washing it with shampoo and conditioner
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote