Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

In the world not of the world Chat Thread - Thanksgiving Edition

Happy November

Anyone doing anything fun with their kids for Thanksgiving learning?

Any plans for Thanksgiving?

This will be my first Thanksgiving in my life without my mom and I am already starting to feel it. I have no clue how to cook a Thanksgiving meal on my own and I am starting to panic.

Advertisement

Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: In the world not of the world Chat Thread - Thanksgiving Edition

Good Morning,

Don't panic. While the Thanksgiving meal seems daunting roasting a turkey makes that part of the meal kind of easy. It's timing that I found the hardest to learn. I used to use this checklist that I got off a site that I don't even think exists anymore. It included everything including when to defrost the turkey. I used that thing faithfully for years.

Having said that I have to confess that we have been going to the kid's godparents for Thanksgiving for years. She cooks out of this tiny kitchen, tiny stove and somehow when we sit down there is a feast.

I've been thinking about Thanksgiving and how to approach it with the little ones. 'm looking forward to seeing some ideas.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
AlexiaH
Registered Users
seller

I really want to do a thankful tree this month. I wanted to last year and never got around to it.

Put up a huge trunk on my wall and then add leaves for things we are thankful for all month long!
AlexiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexiaH View Post
I really want to do a thankful tree this month. I wanted to last year and never got around to it.

Put up a huge trunk on my wall and then add leaves for things we are thankful for all month long!
That sounds great. I try to do something like that on fb but I tended to forget everyday.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
AlexiaH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
That sounds great. I try to do something like that on fb but I tended to forget everyday.

I have a couple friends who do that; I would probably forget to post too, if I did it lol I like making sure the kids are included. I have one that needs to work on being thankful
AlexiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Off to homeschool co-op today. We missed last week and I am ready to go and talk with other mamas again Talk to ya all this afternoon.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking of joining a coop next year. It's far from me. I have two options and one would even has openings for a paid assistant.

How do you all get time with other moms?

There are a few homeschooling families in town. My parish is full of them too. So I get a healthy dose at least once a week usually.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Went to a new church last night, yes Saturday night. We have a hard time getting going in the morning so we were looking for something that would be in the evening. I am sure we will start going Sundays eventually for the kids to go to Sunday School but for now this works pretty well for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I'm thinking of joining a coop next year. It's far from me. I have two options and one would even has openings for a paid assistant.

How do you all get time with other moms?

There are a few homeschooling families in town. My parish is full of them too. So I get a healthy dose at least once a week usually.
I love being part of a co-op and getting out with other homeschool families. At our co-op it is all day on Tuesdays from 10:30 - 2:30 and during that time we have three classes and lunch to attend. The kids are divided by age and attend classes in their age group. Moms work in two classes either teaching or helping and then they have one class off to talk and enjoy being kid free for 1 hour. I need that hour and is the highlight of my week LOL. Well no not really but I do enjoy it.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

As you mamas know I have been trying to find my way to God and where I belong in worshipping him. I was not raised in a spiritual house so I really do feel loss when it comes to all of this. I have been doing a lot of googling about different beliefs, denominations, and traditions along with talking with other mamas at out co-op. Right now I am considering the idea of skirt or dress wearing. I am not sure the complete reasoning behind it besides the bible saying women and men should wear gender appropriate clothing. Can you mamas share with me the reasons you choose to wear skirts?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
As you mamas know I have been trying to find my way to God and where I belong in worshipping him. I was not raised in a spiritual house so I really do feel loss when it comes to all of this. I have been doing a lot of googling about different beliefs, denominations, and traditions along with talking with other mamas at out co-op. Right now I am considering the idea of skirt or dress wearing. I am not sure the complete reasoning behind it besides the bible saying women and men should wear gender appropriate clothing. Can you mamas share with me the reasons you choose to wear skirts?
I do not wear skirts except to dress up, because I feel the Biblical admonition to dress according to one's gender needs to take culture into context. I dress femininely and modestly by our culture's standards. In some cultures, it is immodest to show one's hair, and in others breasts are purely utilitarian--left exposed for feeding babies and have no sexual connotation at all. I wear women's jeans and women's shirts, nothing is exposed above the knee or below the collarbone as I feel that is both gender-appropriate and modest for our particular culture. But my understanding is that wearing skirts in the US for religious reasons is a way to keep the shape of your body below the waist completely covered, so people cannot see the space between your legs (like when you wear jeans and are walking), because they feel it is inappropriate for men besides their husbands to see that shape.

Last edited by Melinda29; 11-16-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote