Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
mysterymommy
Registered Users

Re: Any one else come from a long line of cloth diaperers?

My mom cloth diapered me and my three brothers, and we were all born in the 1980s. I got the impression that cloth was going out of style when my two younger brothers were born, because people seemed to think that my mom was weird for doing it. She had the Gerber prefolds, pins, and rubber pants.

But when I found out that I was pregnant with twins, I just knew I was going to do cloth. It was just normal to me. I never really thought about it being money-saving or environmentally friendly, it was just what you were supposed to do. Just a normal part of having babies.

I'm glad to keep the tradition going!

Advertisement

mysterymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
ketchupqueen
Registered Users
seller

I was cloth diapered even though disposable were available. Mostly in the same prefolds and plastic pants my sisters wore. By the time my brother was born my preschool took kids at 1 if they were in disposable diapers so my brother used part time disposables from age 1 but was allergic and rashy so wore cloth at night. I remember the bucket in my mom's bathroom with them soaking and diaper pins stuck in a bar of ivory soap.

I tried cloth with my first but couldn't make it work and didn't really know what was out there. My next few we had no washer and it was too hard to even keep up with other laundry. Once I went cloth this time around though my mom started talking about how great it is!

Last edited by ketchupqueen; 07-19-2015 at 11:26 PM.
ketchupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was cloth diapered, as was my brother who is two years younger than I. Prefolds, pins, and rubber pants all the way! My little sister, who is 5 years younger, was partially cloth diapered, but Mom switched to disposables with her when she was still pretty little. I remember the wet pail in the bathroom when she was tiny, though! My husband was cloth diapered as well, but I'm not sure about his younger brother. Both my mom and mil were active in LLL, breastfed all their babies on demand, wore their babies, made bread from scratch, etc., so yeah, crunchy before it was a thing. My mom laughs at some of the "new" ideas that pop up in the crunchy world now, because they're old to her.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #14
BackyardHerbals
Registered Users

My Mom put my 4 siblings in cloth, but then sposies were invented and she put me in those. When I wanted to use cloth for my 2nd (22 years ago!!!) she was VERY vocal in how gross they were etc etc. I ended up buying Dr. Denton prefolds from the dollar store and rubber pants. 8 children later we're still using cloth, but things have changed so much since then.... all for the better.
BackyardHerbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
BackyardHerbals
Registered Users

Here's an article about the evolution of disposable diapers.
Skip to the 5th paragraph to read about "modern" sposies.
http://disposablediaper.net/general-...iaper-history/
BackyardHerbals is offline   Reply With Quote