Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
kaycox90
Registered Users

Still have stinky diapers even after stripping! Help!

So, I have been doing the same wash routine for over a year. A warm rinse, hot wash with a scoop of country save detergent, then 2 warm rinses. But when my daughter pees it stinks. And her ON diapers smell like skunk if she had a really wet night. I stripped my diapers this month and it's still the same. My stripping method has always been the same; hot rinse, hot wash with a tbl of dawn, hot wash, warm rinse then dry. What am I doing wrong? What can I do different. My family keeps complaining about the stink every time she pees. Help!!!

Advertisement

kaycox90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Nariah01
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Still have stinky diapers even after stripping! Help!

I've only being cloth diapering for about 1.5 years so maybe someone with more experience can chime in as well. But I've always though that when you have ammonia and that level of stink the best thing is bleach. When I was struggling with ammonia it was the only thing that got them clean. I did a bleach soak in my tub with all my diapers, then I went through and figured out what was no longer working in my wash routine. If you have natural fibers I would say try some bleach, either a soak or adding some to your wash routine.

Then I would figure out what's changed, you say your wash routine is the same, my guess is with your DD being older her urine is more concentrated or potent. My DS started having ammonia once he became a toddler. Could be either more of the detergent you are using, or a stronger detergent.

But like I said, I've only been doing this for a little while so maybe someone else can offer more help. But that's just my two cents.
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Best guess the detergent isn't working well with your washer/water. You could try soaking or rinsing diapers before you put them in the pail. What type of diapers are you using?

Bleach would be a good "stripper", I know dawn is a favorite but its for cleaning grease off dishes not for clothing.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Still have stinky diapers even after stripping! Help!

Personally, I had the same trouble with country save detergent (dirty diaper smell - like barnyard, not ammonia). I switched to Tide and haven't had a problem since. But since I know a lot of people don't want to use Tide, I'd suggest using more detergent and seeing if that helps.

ETA - since my daughter isn't EBF my wash routine is: full warm wash with small amount of detergent and splash of bleach, followed by full hot wash with full amount of detergent + extra rinse.

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS

Last edited by special.k.marie; 08-24-2015 at 12:52 PM.
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Your detergent isn't cleaning adequately is very likely the issue. You have bacteria in your diapers that isn't getting killed. A pp suggested bleach. I would suggest the same as well. Doesn't take a lot of bleach to resolve the issue but you will get a repeat issue if the cause isn't taken care of. You can either up your detergent quantity or you can switch to a stronger detergent. If upping your detergent quantity isn't enough to keep ammonia at bay you will likely have to switch detergents.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
multigrain
Registered Users
seller

Try checking your wash temp. Maybe your water heater is off. I almost changed detergents until I found out that was my issue.
multigrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
BookMama
Registered Users
Formerly: R****l
seller

My Mood:

Any changes to her diet? One of my babies had stinky pee/rash whenever he ate pineapple. Another had issues with beans.

I'm a bleach-phobe, but I may have to get some of my previous baby's ammonia-stink out of our prefolds for this next one. I hope you get it worked out! There's nothing better than the sweet smell of clean diaper-fluff. And nothing worse than barnyard pants.
BookMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
kaycox90
Registered Users

I use a whole scoop of detergent. I thought that would be enough since I was using half a scoop before. I will have to use bleach next wash, but will i get bleach spots on my covers?
I was always told not to use bleach, so I was always wary. But I'll have to try it next wash.
I am using lil bums with microfiber inserts, organic bummis prefolds, bum genius cover with microfiber inserts and Alva baby with bamboo inserts.
kaycox90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Use 1/4 cup of bleach in the hot wash. You need to kill the bacteria. I have been cloth diapering for 8 years and use bleach in EVERY load. It is fine. Covers are polyester. They are color stable. My colored covers are just as bright and vibrant today as the day I bought them.

Country Save is a pretty weak detergent. Use something stronger, like Tide or Wisk. Biokleen Premium PLUS Powder is a very strong natural detergent.

Skip those extra warm rinses at the end. Don't need 'em. Waste of water .

Stripping is also a waste of time, energy, and water. It doesn't kill bacteria or even rinse it away, it just uses boatloads of water. Yes, it will rinse away extra detergent that might not have gotten rinsed out previously, but that doesn't cause stink anyway (despite what dozens of stupid CD websites will say). And with all your extra rinses, you can't possibly have any detergent lingering in them anyway.

Just wash your diapers with strong detergent. Add a bit bleach if you need extra cleaning power. Easy peasy!

Last edited by Melinda29; 08-24-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Nariah01
Registered Users

My Mood:

Country save is a fairly mild detergent, some people have great luck with it. It only worked for like the first six months with us, you could try adding a little bit like a half scoop in the first wash cycle and then a full scoop in your main wash and see if that works. If it doesn't you may need a stronger detergent after you bleach to keep them clean.

I have never gotten bleach spots on my covers when I have used it before, I suppose it might be possible but I have never seen it happen. Bleach usually won't harm most cloth diapers, in your case I don't know because I've never used Alva or bumgenious, but with your prefolds and such it will be fine. A lot of people are scared of it but its better used correctly and in moderation then putting ammonia on your babies bum in my opinion.

Another thing to consider, it could be your microfiber that stinks. I've heard a lot of people have that issue with microfiber, its why I never even tried it. I just stick with natural fibers. But try a little bleach and working with your wash routine and I am sure you'll get it fixed. It takes some trial and error but usually you can get it fixed.
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote