Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
frequent fevers in toddler?

My two year old started getting frequent fevers in the fall of 2010. And when I say frequent, I mean an average of every 3 to 4 weeks. I can almost plan it because they come like clockwork. The Ped did a CBC last summer and I keep getting the "it's just a virus" spiel. Yesterday I took her to the ER since she was also complaining of belly pain. They thought it might be a UTI, so they cathed her but it wasn't. I was almost hoping it was so we had a reason for all this. This morning I called the triage nurse and said I want to get to the bottom of this. Why does she keep getting sick? THe nurse tells me it's totally normal for a toddler to get viruses all the time, especially if she's in daycare. Um, at this point I interrupt her and tell her dd is NOT in daycare, her sisters are homeschooled and they never get sick. Only dd3. I told the nurse I feel like I'm getting a brush off and if it is just fevers from multiple virals ok, but don't you think we out to do more tests to rule out other stuff? She could have an autoimmune problem that is causing her to get sick frequently. She could have periodic fever syndrome. My kid goes through a bottle of painreliever every two months. You're telling me this is normal?

Any ideas? Anybody go through this?

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: frequent fevers in toddler?

nobody?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
But what are the temps of the fevers?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend whose dd got sick all the time the first 2 years of life. In the hospital sick probably once a month. She and her oldest dd stayed home and they got really vigilant about where they took her. They ran a ton of tests and everything came back negative. She's 2 1/2 now and hasn't been sick since last spring - she just outgrew whatever it was.

No help I know, but there might not be anything wrong that can be diagnosed. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be running tests to rule stuff out.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would keep looking for a diagnosis. My ds had recurrent infections and fevers and they just told me it was normal and that he just needed tubes in his ears if it continued. It turned out he had a heart defect that they didn't detect until 15 months. It was corrected and he has had ONE fever since that time 11 years ago.

My two year old gets fevers that spike high. He has had them three times since being born but they aren't the same as with ds1. I knew something was wrong because they were so regular.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
Yes. How high are the fevers getting? If they aren't too high, I would stop with the pain relievers/ fever reducers. A bottle every two months is not good for her little body!

If the fevers a so regular, you could look into cyclical fevers. I looked it up and there are some more serious causes of it, but there is one called PFAPA. It says it isn't harmful to the kid. I posted the info I found below. Does this sound at all like what your DD is experiencing?

Quote:
The syndrome of periodic fever, aphthous ulcers, pharyngitis and adenitis (PFAPA) is another condition that causes children to get periodic fevers and aphthous ulcers--mouth sores comparable to cold sores--along with sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. Young children usually develop PFAPA and get fevers of 102 to103 degrees fairly regularly every 3 to 6 weeks. The fever normally lasts 2 to 4 days, has no other symptoms besides those previously mentioned, and the child goes back to normal relatively quickly.

PFAPA is not harmful to the child and dwindles eventually by itself without medication. But the condition is a nuisance to parents and children. A treatment that has been shown at Children's Hospital Boston to be effective is a tonsillectomy (see Resources). It's still uncertain why it works, but results have been overwhelmingly positive.

Read more: Causes of Cyclical Fever in Children | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4926145...#ixzz1jfHUbW5q
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
They average 103, usually running between 101 and 104
Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I called her ped again today and talked with her nurse. I stressed over and over that this is NOT normal. I don't care how many times they tell me it is, I just can't fathom that it's normal for a kid to get a high fever that often. And I don't give her pain reliever until she's miserable or it's over 102 because I don't like giving her meds for low temps. Anyways, I told the nurse that I am suspicious that it could be autoimmune or autoinflammatory and I explained that I have Graves Disease, which is an autoimmune disease. Bingo! Apparently those were the magic words because we now have an appointment at Children's Hospital in Milwaukee in the Primary Autoimmune deficiency clinic. So if they run all these tests and still find nothing wrong, then I will feel better. I'm just tired of being brushed off and diagnosed over the phone. So her appt is in three weeks. In the meantime I'll keep charting her fevers. Thanks