Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 19 month old not speaking

My DS did not have many words at 19mths! As soon as he 2 tho, WOW he just exploded with new words and phrases! He likes to try to learn new words, where as before he didn't care!!

Advertisement

png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt worry.. she sounds like she says plenty for her age. My 15 month old still doesnt say ANYTHING, and my 19 month old neice only says a few words.. mama, yeah, baby.. and I think thats it, but she definatyely knows what ur saying lol.

They say not to worry unless your child isnt speaking by age 2.. well at least thats what the lady from Early Intervention told me when I expressed concern over DS's lack of speech.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Had she has ear infections a lot? Both my nephew and the little boy I keep said almost nothing at that age. They got tubes, and both talk non-stop now. Landon is 2y 3m and has had tubes in for... 3 months now. Poor baby couldn't hear anything so he couldn't talk. Now I can't get him to stop talking for anything. "Look! One two one two one two fife (5)! What's this? SHIRT! Where Jack go? Deere 'ee is! More pease, pease, pease. More. Cookie." Goodness!!

Your DD sounds fine to me though. And ditto the pp, talkings not even an issue until after they are 2.

Last edited by JustAugust; 04-20-2007 at 03:09 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know there is a neat program locally called tyke talk (http://www.tyketalk.com/) that is funded through the province (I think). They have things online to see if your child is talking at the appropriate level. It is quite a nice resource. It also has a list of when to be concerned or not, which can make you feel better!
Bye.
clarinetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #15
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

My son is 17 months old and he just recently started saying "dada", "go", and "what's that?" That's all! I think someone on this thread hit the nail on the head with the physical development. Everyone I've talked to who has really physical LO's have turned out to be late talkers. I think the physical development is taking up their time right now. My DS is a super climber. Yesterday I had him over at a friend's house. She has a licensed home daycare specifically suited for kids his age. Her deck is fenced...strict licensing standards for safety. My DS climbed right over it. At his 12 month appointment he was doing pullups on the examining table. He is constantly moving. He has no interest in toys or books. Just climbing, running, exploring.
ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 17 months old (almost) and says alot of single words. A whole lot actually, but hasn't put them together yet at all. No phrases, except maybe "what's that". She understands everything we say to her, so I am sure she is fine. At this age that is a bigger indicator than spoken language of how they are doing. If she understands what you tell her, then I wouldn't worry at all. Many kids can be really delayed at first (like 2.5 or 3 before really even trying to speak) and still end up talking non stop in the long run. Your dd sounds like she is doing great!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS turns 2 on the 30th and just started saying ball, bear and dog. That's it. And he may have started those at around 22 months old. I can't wait for him to really get going here. lol!

So your kiddo is well ahead of mine. But my DS hears fine, understands what we say just fine, etc. etc. So we figure it's just a matter of time.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #18
Mugs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know when mine will talk. They are learning two languages now. Our Polish nanny only speaks polish and I only speak english. They try to repeat what I say though.

My boys are 17 month and 20 months.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
BarbieAnn79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 18 mo old DD (well she will be 18 months in a week) dosnt say ANYTHING.
She makes a few sounds like da ka ya ma.. thats it......she dosnt say things and her cognitive level is pretty delayed too (as in, she dosnt understand what other peoples words are either....)
she WAS a preemie however and she is recieveing speach therepy.
sometimes when they stop saying stuff and start saying other stuff, it isnt because they havnt retained the old stuff , they are just putting it on the backburner while they explore new sounds/phrases.(according to My DD's speech pathologist)