Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

Please help! 2 year old afraid and won't sleep!

Our newly 2 year old is afraid of shadows again.... He was afraid of them in January & February and for whatever reason, got over it and started sleeping better. We were still rocking him to sleep until a few weeks ago and he has been doing great at going to sleep on his own until tonight.
Now he is crying and hysterical - "All done bed. All done shadow"
We have been trying to show him again that shadows are just "pictures of us" and we have rocked him to sleep tonight only to have him wake up as soon as we put him in his bed.

We don't know what to do.... it's very stressful. And he shares a room with his 4 year old brother and we are expecting a new baby in 9 weeks! We all need to get some good sleep! Any help?

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please help! 2 year old afraid and won't sleep!

Wow that's a toughy as my 3 yo has similiar issues off and on but I can tell you what HAS helped and gotten him better w/the situation.

First off night lights have actually made it WORSE. It makes the shadows more noticeable so we remove them. When we go in the room we check things out & make sure he knows nothing is there. We even made a sign for his door that says monsters stay out of my room LOL We leave his door open & he sleeps w/a special toy & several special blankets. He has a sippy w/water he keeps in bed w/him too. I don't know why but it seems to help & also solve several of the million excuses of getting out of bed & blaming it on shadows & monsters.

Also, I may get stoned for saying it, but you may need to back off the rocking a bit. I'm the last one to talk here as I've gotten my 15 mo back into being dept on me as he's getting over a sick issue and I sort of felt sorry for him & was rocking him etc when he was doing good on his one (he didn't want to sleep w/us anymore, etc). Anyway, as scared of shadows as he might be he might also be playing it up a bit. I'm not taking away from his fear at all but my 3 yo as scared as he is of monsters will actually play is fear up a bit to try & cuddle w/me, etc at times that aren't quite needed like when he's trying to get something he wants if that makes sense.

But maybe there is too much light in the room & that's really adding to the shadow effect. Something to consider.

Holy crap, 9 weeks. Our baby is (hope) coming soon too! Thanks a lot for putting it into perspective and scaring the crap out of me! LOL So not ready! Haha