Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any non-vaxing foster parents here?

We'd like to foster ages 0-2 or 2-4 but found out that some vaxes are required in our State. Looks like we can get an exemption on file, but just wondering if anyone has dealt with this?

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any non-vaxing foster parents here?

We no longer vaccinate our biological children but we do vaccinate our foster children. I don't think you can get an exemption for them here but you can often delay a bit or spread the shots out so it isn't so many at once.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

We don't vaccinate either but we also don't foster children. But from a friend who did foster and didn't believe in vaccinations, she was required to keep the foster children current with their vaccinations. No exemptions for them.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, I should have clarified! Certain vaccinations are required for our family in order to take in foster children under the age of 4. I do understand than any foster children we take in will have to be vaccinated (hate the thought, but understand).
Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not sure on that. My friend fostered and didn't vaccinate her daughter. Other than that I don't have any further information.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

When we fostered, it was our understanding that in our area vaccination of foster children is required. Then we were told also, that any medical treatment, procedure is still the responsibility of the biological parent (when they are able to give authorization), and if not, then it is up to the head of the department of the agency they are under. I remember fostering and when taking the kids to the doctor, paperwork was directly sent into the department office via fax for authorization of treatment which was a big-to-do for the simple fact that sometimes the kids needed medical treatment and the parents were not immediately available to sign off so an agency worker had to. Also, the caseworkers wanted the parents there during doctor visits to help these situations. This here, is not up to the fostering parents. But that was then, don't know how it is now. Also, this could be different in other areas and within other agencies.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heluvsme View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified! Certain vaccinations are required for our family in order to take in foster children under the age of 4. I do understand than any foster children we take in will have to be vaccinated (hate the thought, but understand).
Sorry I misunderstood! Two of my bios have had no vaccinations at all. We don't have any exemption on file and so far as I am aware it causes no issues with fostering. To me it's the same as spanking...the agency has every right to say I can't spank foster children but for my children the decision is mine. If I were you I would just get the exemption and move forward, it probably isn't a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedTheJourney View Post
When we fostered, it was our understanding that in our area vaccination of foster children is required. Then we were told also, that any medical treatment, procedure is still the responsibility of the biological parent (when they are able to give authorization), and if not, then it is up to the head of the department of the agency they are under. I remember fostering and when taking the kids to the doctor, paperwork was directly sent into the department office via fax for authorization of treatment which was a big-to-do for the simple fact that sometimes the kids needed medical treatment and the parents were not immediately available to sign off so an agency worker had to. Also, the caseworkers wanted the parents there during doctor visits to help these situations. This here, is not up to the fostering parents. But that was then, don't know how it is now. Also, this could be different in other areas and within other agencies.
That sounds like a nightmare! We are able to make minor or routine medical decisions. If it's major and not an emergency we have to go through the agency.

What would have happened in your scenario if the child was having a medical emergency? Having to wait on someone else would seem like it could be dangerous in that case.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Jen Batten--"What would have happened in your scenario if the child was having a medical emergency? Having to wait on someone else would seem like it could be dangerous in that case."

Generally, the local department providing foster care services to the child, has care and custody. However, parents often (whenever possible) retain medical authority, even are encouraged to participate. It is because foster care is seen as temporary care and reunification is the goal. Every effort is made to encourage, teach and model, and at the very least, familiarize the bio parent to the every day commitment of raising children.
I remember the agency had on call 24/7 staffing to authorize if parents were not able to authorize emergency treatment. The local emergency room at hospital asked the foster parents who they were and the agency they worked for in order to get agency or parental consent and notification that their child was in the emergency room being treated while registering the child for emergency treatment. In the cases I described, this was quick, I think the emergency room had on an on-call, after hours round-the-clock contact with the local agencies and treatment was given quick after that. They worked fairly quick to get the child treated, ie. asthma, cuts, etc.

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 01-27-2017 at 03:54 PM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
Futurefam
Registered Users

Here the agency does not ask specifically if we or existing children have vaccinations. There is a yearly health form that has a question "routine care up to date?" but that is about what covers their basic ask.
Batman had no vaccinations after the initial set at birth. When he was brought to me in care at age 5 I thought perhaps his parents were now anti-vaxing so we kept it that way until the state evaluated him pre-adoption. The agency suddenly wanted him up to date and noticed the huge gap. Thankfully I was able to work with a very nice pediatrician who helped us phase in the catch up doses but was pretty much forced to have it done before adoption finalized.
Past: 9 children that have moved on...
Futurefam is offline   Reply With Quote