Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
Rebelsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Jumping in feet first...

My ex husband, my 8 year old sons father,
was FINALLY arrested. CHILD CRUELTY:POS INJ/DTH and
WILLFUL CRUELTY TO CHILD. I have been turning in evidence to family court for years and all my allegations of neglect and abuse were brushed aside. On 8/31 the commissioner granted him 50-50 custody of our son. On 11/3 the exact same commissioner tripped his bail....go figure.

Anywho...

Of course CPS immediately turned over our son to me, however the mother of his other two kids was not fit to take them. They asked my husband and I to foster my son's 2 and 4 year old half siblings. I mean, we didn't even think we just said of course!

Well now that CPS has been working with us to get us cleared (since we are not technically related to these kids, theres a few hoops to jump through) I'm starting to get a little...nervous I guess. I mean I know these kids and I even named the eldest. I LOVE them to death. They call my momma Jen. I have financially supported them for months. But after my daughter, my 2ond child, I got my tubes tied. My family was perfect.

I guess I'm just looking to vent a little as well as gather resources. Anyone have any good blogs or books you'd recommend? Any tips or tricks for working with cps? Any resources for clothes, car seats, etc for foster kids? Personal suggestions, ideas, or thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Jumping in feet first...

No advice but it sounds like an exciting time for your family. Best wish for your growing family, sounds like those kids need you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
13kittycats
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The state of Wi just changed it law last year, now a child's 1/2 sibling is considered a relative to the child's parent. We had a foster child go home to daddy, and daddy was considered a relative and was asked to take the 1/2 siblings. The best advice is get into a circle of foster parents. You are technically one. Also, if you aren't receiving a foster care stipend to care for them, insist on it. It might not be much, but it helps. Here, a relative gets about $275 per month and a foster parent gets about $400 a month. Some states (not ours) has money for clothes. When ever I go to garage sales, I mention the items are for my foster children. Sometimes people will either charge me less or give me extra. If 5YO and under, apply for WIC, it is based on parents income not yours. Childcare too is based on parents income for WI if both foster/kinship parents are working. Social workers here don't EVER offer money or offer information. You have to ask very specific questions to get both. Also, in our county, I have learned to NEVER believe a time table that a social worker gives me. They are giving a hopeful estimate, but is always way off. Good Luck and best wishes.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Sarahterp
Registered Users

I don't know how it works in California but in my state I tell families to definitely ask for the stipend - if nothing else than to put into a savings account for the kids' college or something. I have seen family members blown off and brushed under the carpet because they don't seem to know the system, but getting the stipend is one way to stay on everyone's radar a little bit and look like you know something. Also keep emails going with the workers so that you are aware of when court dates and such are and go to as many as possible. Utilize all resources available! Good luck!
Sarahterp is offline   Reply With Quote