Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
texas.mama
Registered Users

Re: Major Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl_3 View Post
Are you wanting to only straight adopt kids eligible for adoption or are you opening to fostering, too?
I was wondering the same. I'm still a newbie but asked a lot of questions about this from friends and agency. We were told if straight adopt, we would be in for a very long wait. We were told not to go this route because many children who are eventually adopted are adopted by the families who fostered them through the whole court process.

We were also told pointblank to forget about the websites because that info changes so quickly and no one gets responses from them. They also said that by the time a child gets to the website the workers on their case have "exhausted all other options."

In the recommendation that we be licensed as foster-to-adopt, we were also told that only children who meet that criteria would be placed with us. Meaning if their file doesn't suggest future adoption as part of their permanency plan they would be placed in a straight foster home. A friend also told me that specifying you only want "low legal risk" means a longer wait. We were told if we're willing to take on regular foster-to-adopt placements, there is basically a 50/50 chance the kids go back home.

Don't know if all that is true everywhere but just what we were told and I was happy to get upfront information on anything.

Advertisement

texas.mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
ericca1980
Registered Users

Didn't know that the adoption process could be this difficult. I hope for your happiness. Also hoping to hear from you!
ericca1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #13
ssmeest
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE-
Boy does God have a sense of humor or what. After all of the struggles with the previous adoption attempt and MAJOR change of plans. The young man we were trying to adopt said he wanted to stay with his foster family and didn't want to come with us after all.

We then get a call from a neighboring county begging us to foster these 2 baby girls, then ages 11 mo and 22 mo. Yep, 11 months apart
They have been with us 7 months already and can you say busy? They have a few issues which is to be expected, but they are doing great. We don't know what the future holds but are taking each day as it comes. They are a blessing.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #14
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

What a great update!!!
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #15
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Yay!
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #16
13kittycats
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

glad to hear your placement is going well. Many blessing to you. (across state lines takes a long time 6+ months to receive placements) Adoption can take "forever" in fostercare so don't get discouraged. We have had our kiddos for 3 1/2 years and adoption looks like at least 6 more months away. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #17
Sarahterp
Registered Users

Hoping you have had some progress! I know that the whole process can be very time consuming and drawn out. Hugs!
Sarahterp is offline   Reply With Quote