Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #321
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: Instructions: Single crocheting shorties/longies & turning shorties into longies

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Not sure but I just might crochet one up just to find out. If I do I will let you know how it turns out.
thanks. I might too.

I have made 2 longies (well almost finished the second). I used a different "easier" pattern. The first came out too big for when I finished it, though she is just starting to fit into it now, on the big side. the one I am finishing up she has just tried on and it's on the small side. She won't be able to wear it for long. I am planning to make one more longie using this pattern (I've bought a few knits for winter as well). I'm actually thinking about adapting it a little to make the legs skinner and using a dc to make them stetchier around the legs to make a bit more legging style.

After I finish this last one, my plan was to try to estimate what size she will be this summer and start making her summer wool. Maybe I won't have to buy much if I start making early... though I will have to figure out how to estimate her future size -- which I haven't figured out yet.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #322
CourtneyTLane
Registered Users

Re: Instructions: Single crocheting shorties/longies & turning shorties into longies

This is so neat! I just started crocheting & really want to make my son some of these, but I'm not sure I'm quite good enough yet.
CourtneyTLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #323
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyTLane View Post
This is so neat! I just started crocheting & really want to make my son some of these, but I'm not sure I'm quite good enough yet.
I did 2 of a "simpler" pattern and just recently started this one. I still have one leg left to do but overall its really not hard, it's just intimidating. You just have to sit and do it. It also helped that the sample numbers she used happens to be DD's size.

One of the 2 first ones I did are actually in use, but the second one came out too small. This pattern is much better with the crotch gusset. Techincally I started crocheting about 6 years ago but these pants are some of the most successful things I made. Before this I had hats that never fit and booties that were never worn. Some useless blankets, etc.

The chain stitch not being stretchy was my death. If you haven't discovered it yet look into the chainless foundation stitch (either in single or double crochet) its keeps it stretchy! Basically its doing your first row and the chain stitch at the same time. Patterns like this one are good too, because the chain stitch isn't going the same direction as an opening.

good luck and have fun!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #324
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Anyone have tips of making the "stairs" for adding the short rows all together? My first attempt I added stitches and increased the hip everytime, not on purpose.

This time I didn't initially add the short rows together, which made a ton of loose threads. but then I ran out of room and needed to do 2 rows together. I'm trying really hard to make the stairs and not add stitches but it's weird. I am using a HDC so that could be part of the problem.

I thought I would ask incase someone has a tip.

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-19-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #325
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Great tutorial! Following so I can give it a try soon!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #326
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Anyone have tips of making the "stairs" for adding the short rows all together? My first attempt I added stitches and increased the hip everytime, not on purpose.

This time I didn't initially add the short rows together, which made a ton of loose threads. but then I ran out of room and needed to do 2 rows together. I'm trying really hard to make the stairs and not add stitches but it's weird. I am using a HDC so that could be part of the problem.

I thought I would ask incase someone has a tip.
HDC was def part of the problem. I have started just used SC and Have found putting them together and doing the stairs works very well.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #327
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

using this to just make cotton shorts for my lo. thought it could use a bump,

sticky it please!
Old 07-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #328
gimmejellybeans
Registered Users

Re: Free instructions for crocheted shorties/longies... now including pics of each st

I am in the process of making a cover/night time soaker, and am curious... with crochet, should I try felting it after I am done? My stitches jn places were pretty tight, so while they aren't big holes, you can still see my hand through it... will it still work over a fitted at night without felting before lanolizing?
gimmejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #329
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: Free instructions for crocheted shorties/longies... now including pics of each st

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejellybeans View Post
I am in the process of making a cover/night time soaker, and am curious... with crochet, should I try felting it after I am done? My stitches jn places were pretty tight, so while they aren't big holes, you can still see my hand through it... will it still work over a fitted at night without felting before lanolizing?
I never felted any of mine and they worked good.

BTW, I made a pair of cotton pants based on this pattern and I alternated DC and SC it worked great, I just added extra SC short rows in the back at the place recommended. They are cute.

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-15-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #330
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

This one happens to be my "most used" DS post!