Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
StephNelson
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hemp Questions

I am about to have baby #1 and so am trying to get all the info I can... I see lots of hemp stuff, what is different about hemp other than a very renewable resource?
Do you have to boil it? (Silly question maybe, but I saw somewhere where someone said they forgot to "boil" there hemp)

Input please...

Thanks,
Steph

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hemp Questions

I like hemp. My son is a super super soaker and always has been. Hemp is more absorbant than microfiber for how thin it is. It is also mold/mildew resistant and naturaly antibacterial. It also holds in smells. I use baking soda (in wash) and vinegar (in rinse) to keep the smells away. You have to wash hemp like 5 times when it is new to wash away the natural oils before it becomes absorbant. I know some people boil it to "strip" it and get it more absorbant again. I know some people aren't fans of hemp, but I love it!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hemp is very absorbant; more so than cotton. It's also naturally somewhat anti-microbial I believe, though I can't find any specific link about that right now. Enviromentally, it's tops: http://www.fabrics.net/amyhemp.asp

New hemp items need to be broken-in a bit, stripped of their natural oils. This can be accomplished by washing a few times on HOT or some mamas prefer to boil instead. I usually prep. hemp inserts by boiling and then doing 1 quick wash, as opposed to 3-5 washes; works great! Hemp in fitted diapers has usually been somewhat prepped already, but will still generally need a few washes to reach full absorbancy. HTH!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
StephNelson
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok I understand the boiling part now... Is Hemp soft?

Thanks,
Steph
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
ModernMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hemp is soft. We use a microfleece liner in our hemp fitteds to help wick away moisture and to have a softer layer next to baby. I also use baking soda in the wash and vinegar in the rinse once a week to help keep them soft and smelling good. My fave hemp fitted is Little Beetle Hemp Originals/Lites found at www.betterforbabies.com or www.wildflowerdiapers.com. I have some size 1 listed here FS.
ModernMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
brooklynn
Registered Users
seller

I love our hemp... it works well for us! I boil for 20 minutes when I first get them (4 or 5 at a time - I need a bigger pot, lol), then just wash as usual. I've found it gets softer and softer the more it's used/washed UNTIL it starts getting too old. Then it will start getting "hard" and stiff. I figure by then, it's time to be replaced anyhow.