Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
MommyLJ
Registered Users

Location: I travel around for work, mostly in Mexico and the US.
My Mood:
DIY wool questions

So I decided to crochet a wool diaper cover. But I havenít started using wool yet, so I have questions. How many times would I need to lanolize before use (or how much lanolin)? Would you felt a crocheted cover, or would it be fine without? My LO is not a heavy wetter. Approximately how much can wool shrink when felted, so I can plan the size accordingly?

Thanks! Iím excited to try this. Iím getting bored with my pul covers and using all natural fibers sounds cool. 😉

Advertisement

MommyLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DIY wool questions

I would not felt a crocheted cover. I felted a cover that I knitted once, and it ended up too small for a doll. If you lanolize it well once or twice I would think that would be fine.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I wouldnít felt it either. I accidentally felted one of my kidsí hats and I couldnít believe how tiny it came out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I didn't felt the covers/pieces I have made. What kind of covers were you thinking? I've used this pattern to make longies/shorties. I've also done a wrap style which is interesting

Good Luck! Remeber to plan your size ahead for what your LO will be when you finish. eg if you don't have alot of time to crochet and know it might take 6m, think ahead
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I didn't felt the covers/pieces I have made. What kind of covers were you thinking? I've used this pattern to make longies/shorties. I've also done a wrap style which is interesting

Good Luck! Remeber to plan your size ahead for what your LO will be when you finish. eg if you don't have alot of time to crochet and know it might take 6m, think ahead
This! 😁 I started knitting pants for DS last summer expecting him to wear them over the winter, but they still aren't done. Luckily another boy is on the way! Maybe I can finish them this year.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
MommyLJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I would not felt a crocheted cover. I felted a cover that I knitted once, and it ended up too small for a doll. If you lanolize it well once or twice I would think that would be fine.
Thanks! That’s good info to know. I won’t felt it then.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
MommyLJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post

Iíve started crocheting a wrap style, and have a couple shorties and soaker patterns Iíd like to try too. If I like these, itís going to be way cheaper than pul covers, because JoAnns always has 40% off coupons I can buy yarn with! Iím guessing it will come out to $3-5 per cover.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
MommyLJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also, how much lanolin do you use per cover for first lanolizing and for subsequent lanolizing? Tutorials seem to vary greatly, from a pea sized amount to a teaspoon or more. I have the nipple cream kind.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLJ View Post
Also, how much lanolin do you use per cover for first lanolizing and for subsequent lanolizing? Tutorials seem to vary greatly, from a pea sized amount to a teaspoon or more. I have the nipple cream kind.
I don't really think it matters that much, which is why it varies so much in tutorials. Basically the lanolin melts/emulsifies into the bath and then coats the surface of the wool. It doesn't take very much, and lanolin is a little bit expensive, but it's probably easier to work with a bit extra. I'm fairly new to wool too and I think I use too much. My wool feels very tacky when dry,but then feels soft and normal again after about 2 wearings. My dad wears it only at night and at naps, and I literally haven't washed or treated any of my wool since February. It is SO low maintenance once you get going. One of my 3 covers is ready to be washed again - it's starting to smell a teeny bit like urine when dry.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLJ View Post
Iíve started crocheting a wrap style, and have a couple shorties and soaker patterns Iíd like to try too. If I like these, itís going to be way cheaper than pul covers, because JoAnns always has 40% off coupons I can buy yarn with! Iím guessing it will come out to $3-5 per cover.
Yes, it makes such a cheap cover! I get Patons always $5-6/skein which makes 2-4 soakers depending on size. Can't beat that with PUL.

With the tube of Lansinoh I aim for "toothpaste" sized amount for a little tub with one or two covers in it. Putting the cover in inside out is very helpful. But really as long as you have enough diaper on the child you don't even have to lanolize. I never did for the last year my youngest was in diapers.

I just got a little tub of lanolin, NOW brand I think and it is way way cheaper.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote