Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
abh5e8
Registered Users

What's on the bum?

I haven't seen this one in a while. We have been in sposies for a couple of months... We were sick, v then had the flu, then went in a long road trip, now back home with vomiting and diarrhea.... But I'm itching to get ds back into cloth.

Before he was in BGOS pockets with the microfiber inserts, but they were leaking some. I have a stash of muslin flats and duo2s I would like to try. The problem is, i don't like how thick the hems at when folded. Could I rip them out and serge instead? I don't have a serger, so I will need to find someone to help with that. I would also like to try pad folded flats in the pockets, if I can get rid of the hemmed edges. Could I leave them unhemmed? Or would they fray too much?

Or maybe it's just time for something new? Ds is 21 months old, skinnier than my other kids and wears 18-24 month clothes. What are you looking on your toddlers for summer?

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's on the bum?

Dd is using Mother-Ease toddlease, with an airflow cover in Bear Bum....Iím a sucker for prints.

I loved pad folding flats! Iíd take and line up the seam in hotdog fold. Hotdog fold it again, so itís long and skinny. Then fold it in half with the seam hiding on the inside. A momma on here suggested that, and it turned out to be my favorite way to pad fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried folding them so the hems don't line up with each other? Serging might work, but that's a thick layer of thread for such a thin material, I'm not sure it'd get rid of much bulk compared to the hem. Can't leave muslin unhemmed you are right it would fray a lot.

Usually I like a flat with wool shorts or soaker for summer toddlers, or pad folded in a Flip. My last little guy at that age was skinnier than my others had been and I had trouble with fit and just ended up potty training him rather than buy a new stash--I didn't have Flips left by then so it was just flats and wool and I just couldn't fold well enough for that guy.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
abh5e8
Registered Users

Hmm... good idea on the folds. I didn't realize there are multiple ways to pad fold. I'll have to try that. Thank you!

Last edited by abh5e8; 05-19-2018 at 01:56 PM.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Padfolded GMD OS birdseye flat inside pinned flannel fitted wrap under 6 Bags Full medium knickerwoolies. I love the fitted wraps under wool, that's my favorite right now because they have great containment but don't take forever to dry.

I padfold by folding the flat in fourths and then trifolding with the hems inside. They aren't very noticeable that way. But if the muslin have hems on all sides that would be trickier.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Love this thread- I'll be back later
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys are currently both sleeping in BG OS pockets stuffed with GMD Muslin flats and DS2 has a preemie prefold added as well since he is my heavy wetter.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post

I padfold by folding the flat in fourths and then trifolding with the hems inside. They aren't very noticeable that way. But if the muslin have hems on all sides that would be trickier.
The GMD muslin hems are on just 2 sides, same as birdseye. I pad fold both kinds just like you describe.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
abh5e8
Registered Users

Ok, so clearly im either too picky or a horrible folder (or both!) as I have the same flats as everyone else, the GMD muslin OS and larges. I really want to make these work. I'm going to try the OS pad filled in the BG pockets for daytime and the large in ThIrstied covers for nighttime.

But to be honest, I still wish the flats had that nice smooth edge on all for sides.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Adorable little trainers! Nobody in diapers during the day here anymore! I do have 4 kids that use pullups/underjams at night but we use disposable products for that.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote