Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #21
Moonbeam123
Registered Users

Re: What's on the bum?

I can't put up with a wet bed every night so it will have to be a diaper tonight. I haven't told him yet as he will start getting sassy but I'll put one on about 30 mins before bedtime so he has chance to get used to it.

Advertisement

Moonbeam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
That's a good tip--7 yo couldn't stand the itchiness of the stretch side tabs on another one, I think Antsy Pants. I'd be getting the other SnapEZ style though, the big sizes like their adult versions. She needs LOTS of absorbency but also she has a really big rear. Super undies never worked for her when she was little, nor my older DS but they did fine for DD2 who doesn't wet as often or heavy.
DS probably wasn't crazy heavy wetter or anything but I think the side absorbancy just slowed the liquid down and helped move it to the main inserts or something. Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-31-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #23
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OTB: prefitted GMD green edge with Underwoolies for nap. His night diapers have been very close to dry, so I think I'll try putting him back in cloth at night too. I'm so excited about that, I cannot stand the smell of disposables currently!

I gave up on putting flats on school age children and went fully to pull on styles that they can do themselves.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
DS probably wasn't crazy heavy wetter or anything but I think the side absorbancy just slowed the liquid down and helped move it to the main inserts or something. Good Luck!
I've never understood that side absorbency thing. People always talk about fitteds having all-around-absorbency, but I don't see why that helps. They pee out the front or center, right? And disposables only have central absorbency too, right? Why do sides matter?
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
Moonbeam123
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
I gave up on putting flats on school age children and went fully to pull on styles that they can do themselves.
I already have a lot of flats so once I'd decided to put him back in night diapers it makes sense to use them.

He had them on last night and they worked well so he'll be in them again tonight.
Moonbeam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #26
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
I've never understood that side absorbency thing. People always talk about fitteds having all-around-absorbency, but I don't see why that helps. They pee out the front or center, right? And disposables only have central absorbency too, right? Why do sides matter?
What I am referring to is for side sleepers. It may come out the front or center but then it runs directly to the side. If there is nothing there to catch it out the leg hole or side stretch panel it goes. Often older kids are "faster" pee-ers too so may come out faster than can absorb.

I think with daytime fitteds it's just more absorbancy in general spread out around the diaper. Even if you think about an overfilled sagging sposies (sorry to bring that image up) sure alot of the liquid in in the middle/center but the whole thing has expanded. So the center area catches the liquid first but then it has other places to spread to rather than exploding out the front. This is the case with PUL covers at least, the PUL reflects the liquid back in and it finds other places to spread too. IF using wool I find that extra center absorbancy is a must because it doesn't refect back as well.

That actually is one thing that boggles me about the gDiaper sposie inserts, the liquid doesn't spread. If DD is sleeping on her front (most frequent) and pees too much, the front is over saturated (sometimes about bursting open) and the back is still stone dry. I think most cloth inserts the back would at least be mildly damp from liquid spreading (Even against gravity) even as the front gets saturated. But maybe its been too long since I was able to use cloth inserts and I'm crazy
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-01-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #27
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Ah that makes sense kind of. I don't have a side-sleeper, so I didn't think of that, but I have noticed that sometimes DS' diaper is wet in the back even though he sleeps on his tummy. It wicks back there eventually I think.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #28
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

DD is wearing a neat folded gmd flat with a padfolded nb muslin flat padfolded inside, then a sbish wool cover over it. This is for overnight, she's not a super heavy wetter.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote