Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding and Weight Loss/Gain

So I think that breastfeeding has slowly but surely drained every free calorie I have I am now dangerously thin imo for my height..weighing over 20 lbs less than I did before I got pg I'm wasting away over here and getting concerned. I have had my thyroid check and that was fine.

I have begun the weaning process b/c I'll be going on active duty next month and leaving Gabi here. I'm hoping as a side effect that I'll gain my weight back. Am I right? Any of you gain weight after weaning? I always expected my appetite to increase and it never really did. Gabi is extremely happy and healthy though so if me being super thin is the price I paid than that's fine. TIA mamas.

Advertisement

Last edited by lilbitcrunchy; 12-10-2008 at 10:44 AM.
lilbitcrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
jesslabaugh
Registered Users

Re: Breastfeeding and Weight Gain

Hmmm. Based on the fact that you don't have any replies, I'd venture to guess that I'm not the only one who can't relate directly to your problem (I'm still shedding babyweight... slowly and painfully). I don't recall gaining weight after my first stopped nursing, though she nursed for 2 solid years, so the self-weaning process was very gradual. It sounds as though something else might be going on that has nothing to do with nursing. If you've made a conscious effort to eat more without results, I'd certainly consult a dietician.
jesslabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

I have known some other women with this problem.. typically the type of women who are naturally thin anyway. The rest of us have the opposite problem... I don't have any firsthand experience but I bet if you search DS you'll find some posts on the same subject! Hope you can at least stop losing soon.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
therronsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My little guy just weaned, but I have the same problem. I currently weigh 25 pounds less then when I got pregnant. It was different the first time, so I am not sure whether to expect the weight to come right back.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Nettie29
Registered Users
seller

I lost a lot of weight while nursing my first DD. At 7 months postpartum I weighed about 10 pounds less than I did pre-pregnancy (and I had gained 50+ lbs during the pregnancy). I did gain a small amount of that weight back after weening (at 18 months). I think it was a combination of lots of things - when I weened, I also went back to work, which was a desk job, so I was a lot less active.
I am now 4.5 months into nursing my second DD. The weight loss is nowhere near what it was for DD1.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettie29 View Post
I lost a lot of weight while nursing my first DD. At 7 months postpartum I weighed about 10 pounds less than I did pre-pregnancy (and I had gained 50+ lbs during the pregnancy). I did gain a small amount of that weight back after weening (at 18 months). I think it was a combination of lots of things - when I weened, I also went back to work, which was a desk job, so I was a lot less active.
I am now 4.5 months into nursing my second DD. The weight loss is nowhere near what it was for DD1.
Hmm..interesting. I wasn't expecting lots of people to have my issue lol but in general for nursing mamas if you noticed weight gain after weaning.

Perhaps I should ask in the weaning forum but I figured this one got more traffic

Thanks ladies...I know everyone and their brother is trying to lose weight these days but I've always been on the thin side of average and am starting to look like I have an eating disorder or something so me gaining is just as serious as others losing. Le sigh...
Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I have the same problem too, not as much this time, but after my first it was crazy, like you, I looked sickly, I was under 100lbs. My only real suggestion is protein shakes with lots of supplements added in, virgin coconut oil/flaxseed oil for some good for you fats, greek yogurt (high in fats and protein), fruit of course. Basically make sure you are getting lots of protein and good fats, nuts are always good for that too! Weaning helped me a bit so hopefully it will for you too.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimibella View Post
I have the same problem too, not as much this time, but after my first it was crazy, like you, I looked sickly, I was under 100lbs. My only real suggestion is protein shakes with lots of supplements added in, virgin coconut oil/flaxseed oil for some good for you fats, greek yogurt (high in fats and protein), fruit of course. Basically make sure you are getting lots of protein and good fats, nuts are always good for that too! Weaning helped me a bit so hopefully it will for you too.
thanks mama...need to find some shakes lol...i find it hard to force myself to eat more...i eat like i always have. so drinks are probably the only way it'll work.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm having the opposite problem. I gained weight after the pregnancy due to adding the extra calories... and not getting out as much.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
rkirkeby
Registered Users
seller

I'm having the same problem. My girls are 12 weeks old and I am 40 lbs under pre pregnancy weight....I had it to loose, but I'm still loosing. I have friends worrying that I am not eating, but I am.