Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Jenefer
Registered Users

want to be a WAHM! (but where to start)

OK, I'll try to make this short and sweet. I have been at home with four boys for a long time. I do enjoy making things (sewing diapers, dolls, toys) I want to have a home business. I have a hard time deciding what exactly to do. I have also thought about becoming an Usborne consultant. (I love kids books!) I guess the question is, what do ya'll crafty WAHMs do for cash flow? What ideas really work? Has anyone come up with their own home demonstrations? (like selling stuff at a party, but independent with your own product?) I won't go on and on and on.. I'm really just brainstorming- EVERY idea welcome!! (yeah, pretty scattered thoughts here- )
Jenefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
atticanatomy
Registered Users

Re: want to be a WAHM! (but where to start)

I started years ago crafting and making everything you can think of. And you can make good money doing it. But i found that it took up so much time with my kids and family. My kids are all school aged now. But I still can't afford to pay the cost of before and after school care for them. So I then ran into ' reselling' I literally took a 20 dollar bill one day, went to a thrift shop. Bought up some items ( looked up selling value on ebay etc) and flipped it into 150. ! I fell in love lol so now that's what I do. And I love it so much. And my kids don't even know I'm gone.
atticanatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
silver
Registered Users
seller

Hi Jenefer! I started using Thrive products because I ran out of energy and felt like by the time I got home from work, my kids got the "rest" of me instead of the best of me. Fast forward three months, and I have lost 15 lbs, gained two hours out of each day, and my business is booming. I've made well over $1000 not including all my free product in my first three months and my business is just NOW growing daily. The lady who signed me on did $80k in sales last month. I'm looking at doing $4k this month, only my third month in and very very part time (I'm a full-time WOHM)! Because the nutritional supplements they sell TRULY help you be the young, energetic, healthy person you want to be you don't even sell the products, you just share your experience with friends and family and GET PAID. If you're interested in learning more about it shoot me a message. I would love to visit with you!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

I love to craft, sew, crochet, etc. But, with four kids and homeschooling, I just don't have time to do much crafting of my own, much less to sell. I do find that I spend a lot of time online, socializing and networking. I think it's just something to do. It was also costing me a lot of money because I tend to buy stuff when I'm hanging out online...homeschool curriculum, diapers, baby carriers, etc. Then, Jamberry nail wraps. I bought a ton and loved them. So, I decided to sell them. All of my online time can be spent making money and still getting that online fun time that I enjoyed. There is nothing to keep in inventory, and I don't have to do home parties. I just do online/Facebook parties. I'm loving it and having a lot of fun. My goal is to make enough by the end of the summer to help my oldest get his first car. Message me for more info if you are interested.http://sandijam.jamberrynails.net/
Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Cjsmommy_teampinkagain
Registered Users
seller

I am an Independent Younique presenter and LOVE it! I stay at home, play with makeup and talk about makeup. Its a young company so there are not a ton of other presenters like some companies and they are great to work for. They really care about their presenters so we are always offered incentives. Its also great because you have a ton of support from other women and the company is all about empowering women. They even have a foundation for abused women and children. Also everything is naturally based and cruelty free. I use all the products and I love them so its not hard to sell something you really believe in.
Cjsmommy_teampinkagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Violetmama12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I sell on Etsy which I LOVE! For my first year on Etsy I've been so pleased with th results. I also sell Doterra essential oils but find it much more difficult to make money this way to be honest.

Little Wren Bonnets - Handmade reversible sun bonnets for babies & toddlers
Violetmama12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Crafting items to sell from home takes a lot of time because you also have to do marketing, customer service, and administrative tasks. Easily half my time is creating, the other half doing the general business stuff.

I have scaled waaaaay back, don't do much marketing at all. My Facebook page is pretty dead. The whole process, when I factor in my time, is very low paying. Despite my products being priced reasonably (given the time and materials etc), they are still on the more expensive end of the price range.

I like Etsy because I get traffic to my shop even though my Facebook is pretty inactive and I do not market. Yes there are the fees, but since I have low volume and low demand, it's okay.

Whatever you choose, it needs to be the thing you are the most proud of and committed to. There will be feast and famine, and you will need perseverance and commitment to stick to your goals.

Last edited by boysniris; 06-16-2015 at 09:43 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
Dawl3033
Registered Users

i tried being a jam berry nails consultant but that didn't work out. everyone that told me they would host a party or would buy from me before i became a consultant conveniently disappeared when i started selling. however, when i was pregnant with my first i became interested in homemade house hold cleaning products as well as homemade skin care products. I've since been compiling recipes and testing them out. i have come up with quite a few that i'm pretty confident in but some i'm still working on. i do sell them and am working on getting my business to become "legit". i'm also working on upgrading my labels on my packaging to represent the quality of my ingredients. and as of late i've started sewing and hope to make cloth diapers but one thing at a time.
Dawl3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
jenslp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had a lot of friends who have tried being independent consultants for many companies/products and it didn't work out well for any of them unless they really had a ton of time to devote to it. Usually they spent a lot of their own money to reach certain goals and in the end they didn't make very much per hour at all and many lost money. I'm not bashing those jobs at all, that has just been my personal experience. Of all my friends the most successful WAHMs have had the following jobs....

2 people I know took court reporting classes and became certified court reporters and work for companies where they can work from home typing captions for TV shows and movies that are closed captioned. I never realized before that court reporters do that but they do and they can often do those jobs from home. I don't think it took a lot of time to become certified to do it either.

I also know some people who took medical billing classes and now do that from home and make a great living. They have never had any problem finding enough work and do it pretty much all from home.

Good luck!!
jenslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
linglingmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenslp View Post
I have had a lot of friends who have tried being independent consultants for many companies/products and it didn't work out well for any of them unless they really had a ton of time to devote to it. Usually they spent a lot of their own money to reach certain goals and in the end they didn't make very much per hour at all and many lost money. I'm not bashing those jobs at all, that has just been my personal experience. Of all my friends the most successful WAHMs have had the following jobs....

2 people I know took court reporting classes and became certified court reporters and work for companies where they can work from home typing captions for TV shows and movies that are closed captioned. I never realized before that court reporters do that but they do and they can often do those jobs from home. I don't think it took a lot of time to become certified to do it either.

I also know some people who took medical billing classes and now do that from home and make a great living. They have never had any problem finding enough work and do it pretty much all from home.

Good luck!!
Good ideas! Thanks for sharing!
linglingmom is offline   Reply With Quote