Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going back to work and freaking out!!

I would take a look at the stuff on kellymom.com on pumping and going back to work, the amount baby should take while you are gone, and how much per feeding is typical. Provide a sheet to daycare on bottle feeding the breastfed baby. There are differences in how a BF'd baby needs to be fed from a bottle. And a slow flow nipple for your bottle is a must. From my experience talking to mamas with LO's in daycare, it is very typical of daycare providers to bottle feed BFing babies as if they were formula babies. This usually results in extreme over-feeding, and a super stressed mama who cannot pump enough because baby is being over-fed.

I have had experience with my own nannies a few times, where baby was very over-fed in a short amount of time (3 3oz bottles by 1pm, when I left at 9am!!). Stern lecture about how much to feed how often happened very quickly, and baby was never over-fed again.

Typically, a BFing baby will need 1-1.5 ounces per hour you are gone. That amount will NOT increase as baby ages, as it would with formula. I would set a strict schedule for daycare, with a 3oz bottle every 2 or 3 hours. I did 3 ounces every 2 hours with DS1, and as he got older, he was able to go longer, between feedings. The most either of my kiddos have ever taken by bottle is 3.5oz, during a growth spurt.

Another thing to remember is BFing babies not only nurse for food, but for comfort, so may finish a bottle and be full before having their suck needs met. Have a pacifier (or a few different ones if he does not take one now) for daycare to offer after a bottle, so that baby can continue to suck, without taking more milk than he needs.

I know you will go great mama, and yes, it is hard. That first day is usually very rough. Don't be afraid to let yourself cry if necessary. And don't worry if you suddenly pump less right after returning to work and for the next week or two. Going back to work is a huge stress and can temporarily impact milk supply. It is not permanent and your supply WILL come back up. Big hugs to you !

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Going back to work and freaking out!!

you're doing great! we've all been there and you're getting good advice.

I have yet to meet a mama who was happy to be back that first week and pumping can be so stressful. I should probably wait until I can respond with a coherent thought with some sleep but wanted to throw in that

getting support where you can is the best way to help you through.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote