Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy 9 mo old refusing to nurse suddenly

Arg! Would love to hear any advice or insight - please help!

DD2 has been nursing all along, has had maybe 2-3 bottles of pumped milk her whole life, and has been nursing on a regular schedule of 4-6x/day for a few months (1-3 of these overnight). She's enjoyed solid food meals 3x/day for months now, too.

Starting last evening she started rejecting breastfeeding. Today she keppt squirming away each time she saw my breasts. When waking up to feed tonight she started screaming more as soon as she sees my breast. She happily took a bottle of freshly pumped milk just fine. I've gotten her to eventually nurse (like after 20 min+ of rocking/settling first), but why all this drama? And during the day I only managed to get her on once for a very short time.

Two other complicating factors are that she's recovering from Hand-Foot-&-Mouth (sores in the mouth, but they are better than they were days before when she was feeding fine), and the night this started she bit me so hard I screamed & made her cry (that ended up being the first feed she rejected).

What should I do or try? Just keep going with the 20-30min of soothing to finally get her on at night? What about during the day? Is this here for good or just temporary? Should I start pumping when she rejects, b/c I don't have any milk stored.

TIA

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
HisFadedStar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds like a nursing strike that should pass. Keep offering, pump to keep supply up and it should pass within a few days, 9 months is a common age for them to happen.
HisFadedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
supejed05
Registered Users

Re: 9 mo old refusing to nurse suddenly

My 8 month old DS (third child) is going through the same thing. He's coming off an ear infection, but I took him into the pediatrician, and he has a clean bill of health. DS is very unhappy; I'm very unhappy. DD1 went through a nursing strike at 13 mo. and I couldn't convince her to come back. Any help from others who have successfully navigated the nursing strike would be appreciated.
supejed05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

My dd did exactly that at 10 months old and that was the end of our nursing relationship! She never looked back! She never had a bottle until a few days later and it was formula because my supply dipped enough that I could only pump an ounce (which she refused).
Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

My dd did exactly that at 10 months old and that was the end of our nursing relationship! She never looked back! She never had a bottle until a few days later and it was formula because my supply dipped enough that I could only pump an ounce (which she refused).
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

It's the end of our nursing relationship, too. She rejected me completely, I was barely pumping a couple ounces per day, even on a hospital grade pump, so after a week of trying to bring my supply up, I gave up. She was quite happy to take formula in the meantime and I'm wondering now if she just wasn't getting enough milk from me. She's rapidly changed from a schedule of nursing every 3-5 hours thorugh the night, to once at bedtime, once 11-midnight, then sleeping in til 7-8am.

supejed05 - any luck getting your LO back on?