Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
ckemp17
Registered Users

Mucus poops & bottle-to-breast with a preemie

BG: D's 6 weeks old, born early at 32 weeks. He was in the NICU for almost 6 weeks, and just came home Monday, 10/29. During his time there, I concentrated on pumping/bottle feeding so we could make the docs happy and get him home sooner, where I could then start introducing the breast and feeding on demand.

Current Issue:

D's been having some really mucusy poops and increased gassiness/discomfort the past 1-2 days. Research tells me it's likely a milk-protein sensitivity, which would normally mean cutting out dairy from my diet.

BUT... this only started after we came home and I introduced the breast. Another possible cause could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Not an actual imbalance, but a situational one since I'm putting him to breast first, then finishing with the bottle. It's possible that he's getting tuckered out before getting the good hindmilk, leading to the 'imbalance'. I try to pump for a bit before putting him to breast, but it's hard to sit there pumping while he's fussing away, just wanting to eat. No early signs of hunger to alert me it's time to start pumping in preparation for him waking up. He goes from sleeping-fussy/hungry in about 30 seconds flat.

I was thinking maybe I could give him a little in the bottle while I pump some, to take the edge off his hunger and pull the foremilk off my breast, THEN put him to breast? Does that sound like it might work?

Any other ideas?

Advertisement

ckemp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mucus poops & bottle-to-breast with a preemie

I don't have much help to give but I'm a little confused to. Why do you finish with a bottle? Does you son nurse until your breast "let's down" giving him the hindmilk? If he is getting through a full breast until empty than he should be getting the hindmilk he needs. Always start on the second breast for the next feeding (if he does both breasts a feeding).

Has anything in your diet changed since bringing him home?

I would consider contacting a nursing support group in your area http://www.llli.org/
Maybe your dr knows or the hospital has nursing support.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
ckemp17
Registered Users

How do I know if he nurses through a let down? I usually let him nurse, with a shield, until he stops. Sometimes he falls asleep, sometimes he just stops. The breast is so new for him, I'm worried he won't get what he needs while he's figuring it out, hence the bottle finish. He usually takes an additional 1-2oz from the bottle (Dr Brown w/preemie nipple) after he's done at the breast.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going through the same thng with a Nicu baby. I've been doing a lot of research and here's what i've learned:

If you feel you must supplement with a bottle, bottle feed first if they get fussy or fight the breast.

If they will nurse, skip the bottles for a dayor so. Nurse him however long he'll gofor. Ifhe's hungry 30 minutes later, nurse again. Keep an eye on wet/dirty diapers. Try to get away from the nurse-bottle-pump routine, it's awful.

Foremilk/Hindmilk imbalances are pretty rare IMO. Just let him nurse as long as possible. If you're super concerned you can always pump and just ditch the foremilk and feed him a bottle or use a SNS with the hindmilk, but I really don't think you need to.

Have you seen an LC? That would be my first stop. Good lck mama! Enjoy your LO!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
ckemp17
Registered Users

Thank you, cm2b! It's nice to know I'm not alone. I think we're going to try just boob today and see how it goes.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope that it goes well with just the breast He's still little, so try not to worry about the gassiness too much. It could just be his little system getting used to everything. Also, could be be getting too much? Nursing at the breast and then 2 ounces sounds like a lot for a baby who is really just getting to his 38-40 weeks. Maybe he will do better with just nursing. Also, are you sure that you need the sheild still?