Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #141
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****January**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

I hope that they are happier without her.

Well, I was super worried I'd come off the wrong way saying what I said. I'm releaved that you see my persional point of view. I was truely worried. I have no judgement on others that raise them. I just don't want that. It's not for us. It is like a factory, so sad. It's like they live for a cpl months just to fatten up and then die. No life. If they were free ranged that would be better. They are still genetically made to grow to fast, gives Ray and I the creaps!
I totally get what you are saying too!!!

I'll update later. We have to go outside. I wanted to say more.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #142
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny you should be talking about meat birds...my catalog from the hatchery came this week and I was looking at some of the "dual purpose" birds. I don't know if I could kill them myself though, so it may not be worth it.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #143
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
So I found local hatching silkie eggs. So now I'm thinking, anyone make their own incubator? It's a lot cheaper to buy them locally but is the hatching rate usually good? They're about an hour from us.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #144
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I hope that they are happier without her.

Well, I was super worried I'd come off the wrong way saying what I said. I'm releaved that you see my persional point of view. I was truely worried. I have no judgement on others that raise them. I just don't want that. It's not for us. It is like a factory, so sad. It's like they live for a cpl months just to fatten up and then die. No life. If they were free ranged that would be better. They are still genetically made to grow to fast, gives Ray and I the creaps!
I totally get what you are saying too!!!

I'll update later. We have to go outside. I wanted to say more.
I know, and I don't judge them because they have to make their own decisions. They are a little more hardened than I am too, and I have to remember that. It's not for us. Their goal is cheaper than the grocery store. My goal is not buying from the factories and supporting this type of animal production, treating the animal fairly and creating a better food source for my family. The birds I'm looking at are still crossed to make a better bird for meat much in the same way a egg layer is crossed to create less meat/food need and more eggs. Make sense? They are about 12-16 weeks to harvest depending on how you feed them. And they are dual purpose so if you wanted to keep them as layers and not eat them, you could. Just don't use the grower feed to fatten them and make them free range more. They don't have all the problems the others have and they free range and scratch normally because they aren't super fat. They dress out at 5lbs. Not 6-8! Like I said, I think this year is going to be all about raising turkeys and then maybe next winter we'll revisit the idea of meat chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Funny you should be talking about meat birds...my catalog from the hatchery came this week and I was looking at some of the "dual purpose" birds. I don't know if I could kill them myself though, so it may not be worth it.
If you can find someone that butchers their own, try to go and watch. I found that there's no way I could cut the head off. But once that was done it ceased to be a live animal/pet to me and was just food. I could have done any of the rest without issues. The part J had trouble with and grossed him out is that we had fed our hen that day and when he stuck his hand into the body cavity to clean it out, poo came out the vent. Stinky poo. He gagged a bit but made it through. We will be careful to keep food away for 24 hrs next time like our friends suggested. Water only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
So I found local hatching silkie eggs. So now I'm thinking, anyone make their own incubator? It's a lot cheaper to buy them locally but is the hatching rate usually good? They're about an hour from us.
I did, sarah did, fodie did... am I missing anyone? It was easy, and dh and I really had a lot of fun with it. This is the thread I used to make mine, there's also the "coolerbator", look that up on youtube, thats another good one!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #145
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Awsome! I used the same tut as Liz. LOVE it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I know, and I don't judge them because they have to make their own decisions. They are a little more hardened than I am too, and I have to remember that. It's not for us. Their goal is cheaper than the grocery store. My goal is not buying from the factories and supporting this type of animal production, treating the animal fairly and creating a better food source for my family. The birds I'm looking at are still crossed to make a better bird for meat much in the same way a egg layer is crossed to create less meat/food need and more eggs. Make sense? They are about 12-16 weeks to harvest depending on how you feed them. And they are dual purpose so if you wanted to keep them as layers and not eat them, you could. Just don't use the grower feed to fatten them and make them free range more. They don't have all the problems the others have and they free range and scratch normally because they aren't super fat. They dress out at 5lbs. Not 6-8! Like I said, I think this year is going to be all about raising turkeys and then maybe next winter we'll revisit the idea of meat chickens.
They sound cool. What breedare they? I didn't even notice you mentioned them before. I think we have the same goal, lol! So do they have like some sort of farm?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #146
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nicole, do you have a local butcher? I know many will process them.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #147
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

They're these:
http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/

Yeah, farm/homestead kinda. They have about the same amount of land as us, but their property is square instead of long/rectangular if that makes sense. They have her two chicken pens. One's a old hen/bantams pen and the other is her regular layers. She has the teeny tinest little hen that's one of her original hens Sarah, you'd love her. She is feather footed and about the size of a 8 week old baby! Then they have a turkey pen and a meat chicken pen. A couple corrals made from pallets for their pigs/goats and what have you that they get to butcher. Right now they have one goat that will be butchered next week and then her pet potbelly pig, penelope. She is ADORABLE. All the pens are about the same size and fortunately the neighbors are far away and like minded so they don't care but the pens could use a thorough cleaning and some fresh dirt laid down if you want my honest opinion. They smell. They feed their birds leftover meat carcasses after cooking or butchering (which is probably good for them) but it's not something I'd do simply because of the smell. Sand is great, IF you're mindful that like all situations if your birds aren't free range (hers aren't because coyotes are VERY bad in this area) then you have to rake 1-2x day and add fresh soil every couple mos.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #148
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Oh and I forgot to add, I heard back from the lady I sent eggs to, all 20 made it safe and sound, NO breakages! FX she gets a good hatch. Says she's started to collect some eggs for me, I am soooo anxious to get my hands on them, can't wait!

Sarah what do you use to prop the cartons for egg turning in the incubator? I'm cutting bottoms out of some cartons now.

And I bought a dozen silkie eggs on BYC for cheap, they're mixed all kinds I'm so excited!

Since I'm talking to myself tonight, I've also been looking for a better pattern for aprons for the girls. Some of them don't fit right and keep curling up and fred gets them anyway. Plus he's taking wing feathers off now too. So tonight while browsing I found this pattern that looks good:
http://prairiesun.wordpress.com/chickens/hen-apron/

AND I found the patent info and design for the "hen saver" that has the wing covers?
http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/7882808.html

Super cool, I was trying to figure out how it was attached underneath, now I know. I made my own pattern mash up based on these two, I'll let y'all know how it turns out. My poor girls, they need some relief!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 01-21-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #149
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
They're these:
http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/
I really like the looks. Vary handsome birds. They sorta remind me of a rsl, lol. Are you gonna do an order next year?

Yeah, farm/homestead kinda. They have about the same amount of land as us, but their property is square instead of long/rectangular if that makes sense. They have her two chicken pens. One's a old hen/bantams pen and the other is her regular layers. She has the teeny tinest little hen that's one of her original hens Sarah, you'd love her. She is feather footed and about the size of a 8 week old baby! Then they have a turkey pen and a meat chicken pen. A couple corrals made from pallets for their pigs/goats and what have you that they get to butcher. Right now they have one goat that will be butchered next week and then her pet potbelly pig, penelope. She is ADORABLE. All the pens are about the same size and fortunately the neighbors are far away and like minded so they don't care but the pens could use a thorough cleaning and some fresh dirt laid down if you want my honest opinion. They smell. They feed their birds leftover meat carcasses after cooking or butchering (which is probably good for them) but it's not something I'd do simply because of the smell. Sand is great, IF you're mindful that like all situations if your birds aren't free range (hers aren't because coyotes are VERY bad in this area) then you have to rake 1-2x day and add fresh soil every couple mos.
It sounds like a nice setup. I have to agree, they need fresh soil. I mulch the under coop part, but it has to be cleaned, then replaced for better cleanouts. I don't want nasty feet. I know they prob don't get thrush like horses, but I don't like the thought of an animal standing in poo/bacteria for that long. I know mine go out all day, but still. Next time you visit, snap a pic of the little hen for me!!!!

Quote:
Oh and I forgot to add, I heard back from the lady I sent eggs to, all 20 made it safe and sound, NO breakages! FX she gets a good hatch. Says she's started to collect some eggs for me, I am soooo anxious to get my hands on them, can't wait!

Sarah what do you use to prop the cartons for egg turning in the incubator? I'm cutting bottoms out of some cartons now.
Oh awsome!!!!
I've candled and rotated a cpl times and the aircell will move and you can see. For this reasion, I persionally spin or tilt the egg. Just in a flat paper carton. Some still have super wacky shapes when healed. I just outline those and watch close for when the chicks peep. I havn't had one not peep through the correct spot yet though.

And I bought a dozen silkie eggs on BYC for cheap, they're mixed all kinds I'm so excited!
Cheep! I couldn't resist, lol. Awsome. I can wait to see the babies!!
Since I'm talking to myself tonight, I've also been looking for a better pattern for aprons for the girls. Some of them don't fit right and keep curling up and fred gets them anyway. Plus he's taking wing feathers off now too. So tonight while browsing I found this pattern that looks good:
http://prairiesun.wordpress.com/chickens/hen-apron/
This is identical to how I cut mine. I'll be doing a hangover end now though. I went to check Pita again and I saw someone reaching under his dress and PECKING!! Bleeding again. They really hate him! ERRRR! I sprayed him down again. I'll have them hang down next time. I use 2 layers, a waterproof material next to the body, and a decorative cotton outer.

AND I found the patent info and design for the "hen saver" that has the wing covers?
http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/7882808.html
Love it!!!! What a find!

Super cool, I was trying to figure out how it was attached underneath, now I know. I made my own pattern mash up based on these two, I'll let y'all know how it turns out. My poor girls, they need some relief!
Here is the new apron I made:

Check out what I sold yesterday! i love the color variety, lol. I can't get enough. I can't wait for laying bcm's and welsummers! And blues and greens!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #150
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi all,

So you know how all us chicken people worry about out chickens freezing? We insulate and give them a heat lamp....etc. Well last night I checked on the chickens and noticed three were missing, my Gabby (blrw) and little roo's. After searching I found them huddled up in a tree about 15 foot high. I climbed the inside and was able to secure a hold on Gabby, but the other two could not be reached. I tried my darndest though. Anyway, after putting Gab in the coop and closing the door I felt pretty bad because it was expected to be -25 degrees. And holy crap it was cold, even this morning with the sun out I could not believe how bad it was. I did not want to leave those two guys outside in a tree out in the open, but had no choice. I woke up this morning prepared for the worst, and when I went to the tree there they were looking back at me, making the usual "hello" noises. All that worry and they were FINE....jeez. I guess they can handle the cold much better than I knew.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote