Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #51
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I was given the boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
CVS drives me crazy! The milk is like $2.99 a gallon. Then they have a buck thing you get when you purchase, during certain promotions. So they say on their sign the milk is $1.99 after the buck thingy. Umm, no it isn't. I pay $2.99 for a gallon of milk. The buck comes off of a future purchase. My bank account firmly tells me so. My bank does not pretend only $1.99 is coming out despite the fraudulent advertisement saying otherwise.
Exactly this!!!! I really hate that type of promotion. What I pay out of pocket is exactly that. What they are giving me is a coupon or store credit at best.

Here's another example of how these deals can be tricky:

I paid $10 on items that were comparably priced and needed to purchase. I earned $10 in bonus points. I used the points on two baking pans my dd wanted.

There is something wrong with vitamins I bought through the deal. I call to find out and they say that they will take away $10 from me in either points or cash if I return. I know it's probably because people have abused the system but come on what am I supposed to do with these defective vitamins? It was a $10 transaction I'm not trying to get rich off kmart obviously.

I see people buying cartloads of stuff to get points to then use on appliances, furniture etc. They are in for a rude surprise if something comes damaged or doesn't work.

But the hoarding impulse is stronger than the common sense one.

I won't ever buy anything like that from Kmart again. I have a call into their quality control.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #52
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

^^ Will they not exchange the vitamins? That is usually the most hassle-free way to go with something like that.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #53
drabekgirl
Registered Users

A local gas station got into trouble because they have a sign out that says "5c off each gallon when you pay with cash". What they didn't tell you was that all you got was a coupon which was for your next cash purchase. Yeah they got a lot of complaints about that misinterpretation of their sign and as of a year ago decided to go with what their sign actually stated.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #54
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabekgirl View Post
A local gas station got into trouble because they have a sign out that says "5c off each gallon when you pay with cash". What they didn't tell you was that all you got was a coupon which was for your next cash purchase. Yeah they got a lot of complaints about that misinterpretation of their sign and as of a year ago decided to go with what their sign actually stated.
So how does CVS get away with the same type of advertisements?
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #55
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Many of the promos, member, and shopper discount cards seemingly save money. Yet, when they give you those, they track your purchases, and by giving you a discount for another item, they believe that your shopping inventory (and their window of promoting it to you) will grow. So, say for instance, you went to the store with the idea of getting old fashioned original oatmeal pilgrim-type big box of cereal (not promoting any brand), the receipt for the next purchase will have a promotion for instant flavored individual packets from the same company. The promos are for both the store bottom line, and the manufacturer's research as to how to promote products and slowly incorporate them into the regular consumer's habits.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #56
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I knew they tracked my purchases. Otherwise the coupons I received wouldn't be geared towards my needs. I try to make sure I only purchase items I would gotten anyway. There are a few exceptions. But I knowingly followed. It was dairy free cookies. I hadn't, until the promo, known they had these cookies. Now I do due to the promo. So now, on occasion I buy them. But, had I known of them previously I would have been occasionally purchasing them anyway. They are soy free, dairy free, and some even chocolate free. Meaning my husband and all 3 children can eat them safely. An almost unheard of luxury for store bought cookies. Baking cookies isn't always convenient, such as when traveling.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #57
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, they track it. So, weeks back, hubby got dental work and I went got him baby food to carry him through for a couple of days while healing. Store gave me baby formula coupon I threw out. The tracking seems to be for on the spot purchases more than what the consumer history is through the use of the store cards. If they have the archived purchase information and were interested in giving the consumer what the consumer normally buys, I could definitely understand. Yet, here, it seems that it is based on the spot which in turn allows them the opportunity to promote a product line similar, in par, or supplementing the "need". Drives me crazy when I get a receipt as long as a 5 foot ticker tape and nothing I need as an archived consumer shows up by ways of a coupon. : (
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #58
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
^^ Will they not exchange the vitamins? That is usually the most hassle-free way to go with something like that.
They said they MIGHT give me back points
if I exchange for other vitamins. I'd have to call in again. I'm not buying vitamins there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedTheJourney View Post
Many of the promos, member, and shopper discount cards seemingly save money. Yet, when they give you those, they track your purchases, and by giving you a discount for another item, they believe that your shopping inventory (and their window of promoting it to you) will grow. So, say for instance, you went to the store with the idea of getting old fashioned original oatmeal pilgrim-type big box of cereal (not promoting any brand), the receipt for the next purchase will have a promotion for instant flavored individual packets from the same company. The promos are for both the store bottom line, and the manufacturer's research as to how to promote products and slowly incorporate them into the regular consumer's habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedTheJourney View Post
Yep, they track it. So, weeks back, hubby got dental work and I went got him baby food to carry him through for a couple of days while healing. Store gave me baby formula coupon I threw out. The tracking seems to be for on the spot purchases more than what the consumer history is through the use of the store cards. If they have the archived purchase information and were interested in giving the consumer what the consumer normally buys, I could definitely understand. Yet, here, it seems that it is based on the spot which in turn allows them the opportunity to promote a product line similar, in par, or supplementing the "need". Drives me crazy when I get a receipt as long as a 5 foot ticker tape and nothing I need as an archived consumer shows up by ways of a coupon. : (
This is all very interesting.

I know I've seen people post pictures of their ridiculously long receipts online.

I must be boring to track. We rarely buy anything but veggies, meat and milk at the market. We shop Aldis mostly.

I got the worst customer service at Sears yesterday. I can see how people would get completely get fed up with them and then just choose to exploit their points program. It's not right but I can see it.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #59
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, we use Aldis too but not for produce, just regular shelf and freezer items. The other stores' receipts get ridiculously long due to promos, coupons, services, sometimes at the front of the receipt, and sometimes printed on the back, and this is in addition to any sale promo deduction being deducted separately after purchases and appearing at the bottom of the receipt. For instance, the pasta is on sale for .99 out of 1.09 yet it appears marked as 1.09 on the receipts as the cashier tracks it through the sensor at the checkout. When she is done, the cash register/computer deducts the difference and continues to print out the difference in terms of reduction. Also, then it tells you year to date how much savings you have had, and also on another line, how much savings this purchase was, etc. SO, the receipt gets long. Makes the receipt a yard long, just to print out the deductions and all the extra stuff without the consumer's archived purchases. The companies have "buyers" based on consumer demands, and yes, the information is boring to track, but that is an important job to keep these companies at their edge. Some of the things they are looking for in consumer tracking, is frequency, brands/generic, items purchased, types, in conjuction with, coupons, full price, and time of year in additional to regional differences in consumer behavior. It is boring, yet, it means the difference between a leader (product) or a loss leader. These companies pay top dollar for all this. It is a very interesting area of marketing.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #60
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I finally understand most receipts I deal with. There's a learning curve for sure. I recently shopped somewhere and I could not make heads or tales. It was ridiculous and convoluted.