Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tricky situation with gift

DH has a milestone birthday coming up. I am having a party for him, with his core group of friends, some newer couple friends, and some work friends. All total, probably about 40+ people. DH's main group of friends is very special. They all grew up here, married here, brought their families home to here, and stayed friends. The few that went away, come home for events and stay close. It is a really neat group of guys and they are all hilarious when together.

At the very heart of it all is DH and this one guy, E. E is a very special friend to our family. He is not married, is childless and has recently lost both parents. We have always included him in family dinners and holidays when he needed or wanted to be included. And, since losing his parents, we try even harder to make sure he feels he can come here whenever he needs. E is also extremely generous with his cash. He thinks nothing of bringing my kids Easter treats at Easter with $20 tucked into Easter eggs.

Dh has said no gifts at the party. His group of friends generally do not do birthday gifts, so I didn't make a big deal out of in the invitation. Well, I just today got a string of emails from E about getting the guys together to buy DH a gift. I wrote back that he said no gifts, thank you for the generous thoughts, though. He replied that they are thinking of an iPad!!!

So, not really sure how to reply. DH will be mortified. But, it is an extremely generous gift and I don't want to be rude. Would if be wrong to say, "That is a very generous and kind idea, but I worry that since DH said 'no gifts' that it might make him feel uncomfortable." ?

WWYD?