Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Perinatologist visit coming...

The midwives office called today. the u/s for the kidneys looked fine but there is a "shadow" on the baby's heart that they don't know about. (what does that mean? they don't know about it???!) They referred us to a perinatologist and we go in two weeks for a high level heart u/s.

Of course I googled it and it said it can be a marker for downs?! Anyone know anything about this?

Trying to stay calm and trusting that all is good.
EDITED TO ADD: ANY prayers would be so welcome!

Advertisement

Last edited by s2grace; 04-27-2012 at 03:01 PM.
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: Perinatologist visit coming...

Any heart defect can be a sign of downs from what I have learned through this pregnancy. We went through testing etc and it is tough but I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

I went through the terror or going to a pediatric cardiologist when even the Peri didn't know what was wrong with my babys heart. It is very likely nothing and they wont see anything with another ultrasound. Many of the issues the Peri saw on my U/S the cardiologist didn't see. My babys heart is big but they have no reason for it and do not think it is an issue right now.

It is so hard not to worry but I spent many hours worrying with many "what if" tears just to find out that there was nothing to worry about. Try to stay positive and know that ultrasounds can pick up a lot of weird stuff that is not there due to the way the technology works. Drs are just very cautious with this stuff and want to check and double check. Although I am glad they are thorough it does cause a lot of needless worry.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

HUGS!
I agree! Sometimes technology causes more scares than necessary!

Hang in there and stay strong. I've had several friends who had abnormal ultrasounds and ended up with a normal baby. It's gotta be a difficult time for you, though. My 3rd had kidney problems, but we didn't know until after birth because I didn't do ultrasounds (1st time with a midwife). I'm actually glad I didn't know about all her problems in utero. But this pregnancy, I insisted on several ultrasounds, just to know.
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
virtuousflapper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't worry too much yet, my 22 mo old DD had a bright spot on her heart and it turned out to be nothing. From what I've read/been told, this is quite common (25% of all U/S) and although a soft market for downs, usually means nothing. They have to check it out though.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hugs, mama! We are having a high level ultrasound and perinatologist visit in a couple of weeks, too, for Choroid Plexus Cysts on the baby's brain, which is a marker for downs and other trisomies. It was the only marker, but I'm still nervous. I felt like they spent an ETERNITY looking at the heart at our first ultrasound. I think the baby's position was bad and no defect was listed on the summary, but still.