Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pricey wool!

It only seems that way till you research the ACTUAL cost. You are NOT going to get good quality longies for $5, period.

Decent, inexpensive wool like purewool, peace fleece, and the like is $5-$8 a skein. Longies above newborn you usually want 2 skeins. Large or toddler maybe even 3.

Better quality wool such as targhee, aran, etc can get up to $20 a skein.

Then add in the cost of having it dyed if you want something really nice, and the cost of having it knit or crochet. Many WAHM's don't even make minumum wage knitting and crocheting.

And that's just what *I've* discovered, and I don't know a whole lot about wool yet!

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So where should you buy wool then?? Because hey, if she wants to do it for me, I'm not gonna say no!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #13
Llamajama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
So where should you buy wool then?? Because hey, if she wants to do it for me, I'm not gonna say no!
You are going to find high quality wool at knitting shops or online.

if you have a question for me please don't pm me here - you can contact me through our website. Thanks
Llamajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
well depends LOL

If you want the store bought kind you can get patons but I don't reccomend it for longies it's not usually very soft.

A decent yarn for longies that is soft it pills fast though is purewool
http://www.100purewool.com/servlet/StoreFront

I personally like to buy from Mosaic moon
http://hyenacart.com/MosaicMoonYarnStore/

three irish girls
http://www.threeirishgirls.com/

good luck on your wool adventure!!

OH and FYI you'll need 2 skeins of any of these places for longies if your dd is a medium or larger
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depends on what you need Really, there's SO much out there. You can check HC and Etsy but talk to your friend about ply and gauge so you know better what you need.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am knitting my own for my daughter and I love knitting- but it does take a lot of time. I can definitely see why it is expensive- if someone wanted to make any money as a buisness- you'd have to charge what they do- even still it probably ends up being a low low $ per hour amount. I knit to relax- so for me it is fun, but when I considered trying to knit to sell- I instantly got stressed out and didn't enjoy making the soakers I made. If you have the money- I think it is well worth the money people charge, but if you had a friend who loves you dearly and enjoys knitting for fun- take her up on it and buy her a special treat
She might be able to knit you a decent soaker with Patons wool- I've been able to make one soaker out of Patons. I'm not sure about fancier wools- I have also knit with Peace Fleece- I guess I just don't really understand that side of it. Our Patons soakers work great- I am thinking about getting white and dying some wool next!
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

I thought wool longies were expensive till I started knitting. Now I understand.

How old is your baby? I like relatively inexpensive soft wool like purewool (100purewool.com). Peace fleece is a good choice for a crawler or toddler, but kinda scratchy. If you want nice stuff like targhee or bfl you can search HC but that'll cost you $15-25 a skein.

You can find nice stuff at a LYS but it'll cost you. I like Lily Chin Park Avenue a lot. I made dd longies from that and it cost about $28 (and I have 1/2 skein trim colour left).
maggie_may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought the same thing as you when I started out. I knit and crochet and I thought the prices were outrageous. I decided to make my own. That's when I found out that wool yarn (it's not the regular $3/skein stuff that you use for most projects) even at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, or Micheals runs about $5.99/skein. That's for Paton's which is all I can find around here. It works...it's not the softest and you don't have the greatest selection of colors and it pills a lot but it works. So I figured just to find out if I even like wool at all, I'd give it a shot. The wool skeins are smaller than normal skeins of yarn...it takes 2 skeins for a pair of shorties or 3 for longies. I bought a pattern that I can use for myself, but if you're talking about a WAHM, she's either got to pay a licensing fee to the author of the pattern (which adds to the cost) or she's got to perfect her own pattern (which she should be compensated for). So then comes the actual work...the first pair of shorties I did took me about 8 hours total but since I can't just sit down and work straight through, that was really about a week and a half or so!

Anyway, I figured that the WAHMs that do wool are justified in charging what they do, but that still doesn't mean that *I'm* going to pay it. I would rather make my own. If you have someone who is willing to make you some, definitely take her up on it...but realize that you're probably going to spend ~$15-20/pair (longies) for the cheapest 100% wool yarn and another ~$10 for a pattern (check the craft forum for some free patterns and some that you have to purchase) Whether you pay her for her time depends on your relationship and whether there is some service you might be able to provide her to return the favor. Be aware though that especially for the first pair, while she's figuring out the pattern and all, it's probably going to take her 8-15 hours depending on how fast she knits/crochets and how fancy she gets with it.

So, I decided that I liked wool and wanted to try some nicer yarn. That's where I am now. I'm finding out that good, sturdy, soft yarn that doesn't pill too badly runs upwards of $12/skein (sometimes even $20/skein!) So, now I'm finding that it's a choice between buying $30-40 worth of yarn and taking a couple of weeks to make something for myself or paying $30-40 and letting someone else do the work. So far, I can't bring myself to do either...I just keep using Paton's and drooling over the pricey stuff and constantly watching for bargains.

One inexpensive alternative to the super expensive wool is recycled. A lot of people make recycled items that look kind of tacky but there are some (Jen at the Cat's Meow and LambyPants are two DS mamas that come to mind) who make very nice recycled wool at very reasonable prices.

Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #19
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, and there's a sticky in the craft forum that talks about the different kinds of wool, their pros and cons, their prices and where to get them. Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #20
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All good thoughts- I think she was going to start out with something cheap just to get it all perfected. She's actually very skilled so she doesn't think she'll have problems with making them- she makes all kinds of things for her kiddos- but I still only have her using 3 cd's on each of her kids! argh...I'm still working on it!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote