Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #31
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby Chatter: Sept. 30th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judesmommy View Post
Heres just a curious question for the american mamas out there. Does your health insurance cover the birth of your baby, taking into consideration everything goes smoothly? I was just watching sicko today so I was curious, the province I live in in Canada fully covers the birth of my baby, doctor or midwife, home or hospital, and I wanted to know how it worked for u mamas.
I'm Canadian so I'm with you. I don't even THINK about any costs.. except the cost if I want a private or semi-private room in the Mom & Baby unit of the hospital. We did this with DD, but the hospital stay is MUCH shorter with second babies (providing everything goes smoothly) so we probably won't be doing that for #2. Unless it's covered by my employment health insurance (when/if I finally get hired on, I've been TEMP there since January and it's getting ridiculous... I need my health insurance so I can go get my teeth checked!!!!)
Oh ya... and I'll have to pay if I want the services of a doula. I was considering this, but I'm not sure.

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #32
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Heres just a curious question for the american mamas out there. Does your health insurance cover the birth of your baby, taking into consideration everything goes smoothly? I was just watching sicko today so I was curious, the province I live in in Canada fully covers the birth of my baby, doctor or midwife, home or hospital, and I wanted to know how it worked for u mamas.
every insurance is different with their coverage....everything is covered in a hospital birth for me....so long as i go to the doctor on my card (i got to choose this doctor, but once you choose, he's the only one they'll cover)....my doctor referred me to my midwives (this is how they have to play the system to get me covered) and i've never actually seen him before and going on three babies! he's just on call if i were to need a cesarean....even though i'm 100% covered in theory, if I chose to have a midwife with me at home, I still have to pay for my birth, which is in no way covered (in fact, some hb practicioners won't even take me as an OOP client simply because i have this insurance - that's pretty ridiculous if you ask me!)
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #33
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

Insurance covers 80% of birth if I'm in a hospital or birthing center. Not sure what they'll pay for homebirth.
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsmama View Post
and my b00bs HURT! lol... like when your engorged with milk hurt.. its weird. and they are huge..
I thought i was the only one who thought this! It feels, and looks like i am nursing and need to pump a little..not huge and hard like if they really get engorged, but still, weird like...but i kinda like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemom2faith View Post
Turns out shes getting her 12 year molars(at 9) she also has some cavities and is going to need braces...but they wont do braces till shes older. great...
wierd, i got braces when i was 9, off when i was 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
I feel like I never have anything to say on this thread I don't really have pregnancy symptoms. I keep taking tests to make sure I'm really pregnant (I even bought the digital ones because I just don't feel it at all). The absolute ONLY thing that is different about me is *****iness (forgot about the asterisks, another word for crankiness ) I've had a few doses of that lately...but I have no sickness, pressure, no belly bump, I'm still too small in some of my regular jeans...I mean, I have a tiny bit of bloating, but not much at all....I had morning sickness from a week before my missed period with both boys....it's how i knew to take a test....I keep thinking something must be wrong with me or the baby, but I guess I should just enjoy it!
My first two pregnancies were like that, perfect and rather enjoyable...this one, gosh i swear there must be two in there to be making me feel this way

Quote:
like someone else mentioned, it just depends on your individual insurance. We're military, and according the the tricre lady today, we HAVE to go on post for care...which in my honest opinion, absolutely sucks. I hate not having a choice in my health care.

afm-today i registered for tricare (military health, have to do it at every new duty station) and i was so annoyed when the lady tells me "for your "1st choice" write military treatment facility (mtf) "...um, that's not my first choice, do you have a list of civilian providers?..."no, you have to go to the mtf" ughhhhh! Why does it ask me for a choice if i dont' even get one?! They better refer me off post for OB care...i've been to that office before with dd...not good..and i will be the worse patient ever if they refuse.

on the plus side, i bought new towels for the new house today btu shopping wore me out..
Old 09-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #35
Bethany1130
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Like someone else said, every health insurance plan is different, but ours has a very high deductible (5500/year for the family) and once that has been met, they pay 100% of anything health related (including anything associated with pregnancy/childbirth). We have our insurance through my husband's work and they also give us a $2000 medical debit card to put towards the deductible, so we really only have to pay up to $3500/year for medical care. Also with our plan, all well-visits are free (no co-pay or deductible). They do this to encourage preventative care. We can pick whatever doctors/hospitals we want, as long as they are in-network. This is not really a problem though because our company is national and very large (pretty much everyone takes it).

I know it's not socialized medicine, but I am so thankful for our insurance. We went the first couple years of marriage without it, so we feel very blessed!
Bethany1130 is offline   Reply With Quote