Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #21
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: Crunchy = dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
QUOTE=mykidsaremyheart;17410051]Try a soak with vinegar overnight? If it's hard water build up, it may loosen it out.
I thought I've read that you aren't suppose to use vinegar if you have hard water....[/QUOTE]

I've read that too, but what I read was in regards to getting rid of urine smell.

I've also read not to use it in your washing machine and dishwasher regularly that it could ruin rubber gaskets and such. So I guess it may not be good for elastic. I would imagine occasionally would be okay, but that's just my thoughts.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #22
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I think vinegar does wonders with hard water. We have been using it in the dishwasher for years and really helps keep the build up off. I also had a dog water bowl that we used outside. It had tons of hard water build up on it from the water evaporating over. I could never get the scaly, rough stuff off until I scrubbed with vinegar. It was amazing the sand like stuff I got off with the vinegar that had just come from the water! Now I think I'm going to try it in my diaper laundry.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #23
Ophelialove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabochan17 View Post
Yay, another idea! And perhaps I'll try it for a shorter time so as not to harm the elastic - thanks Ophelialove, never heard that before. And I might try it in the wash as mmmarmalade suggested - I don't know why but my washer manual states not to use vinegar, but I don't think one time would be a problem...
A lot of washers say not to & I have no idea why other than they claim it eats seals. Thing is though, I've had machines for over a decade that I got used (so they were older than that even) & so far I've never needed a seal replacement & I do tons of laundry & use it every time..... I have never had a problem & have been doing it my whole life, because I have sensitive skin. I grew up with my mom making my laundry soap (me & my dad have very sensitive skin for laundry) - 3 bars of Fels Naptha grated, which gives you about 5-6 cups of flakes usually mixed with 2-2.5 cups of soda ash & 2-2.5 cups of Borax & vinegar in the rinse cycle. I have recently come across a very similar recipe that uses Zote soap instead of Fels Naptha.

I also use white vinegar to remove the build up on my faucets & toilet. It will take the white scale off your faucet if you fill a baggie & then then duct tape it over your shower head & let it set overnight. Works like a charm. I have never understood this warning about not using it with hard water. I use it because I have hard water.
Ophelialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #24
Ophelialove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FORGOT to say - you can also use rock salt that is used for ice cream making to take out hard water deposits & I haven't (so far) heard the same types of warning about seals & gaskets (and therefore elastic). Just a thought.
Ophelialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #25
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelialove View Post
A lot of washers say not to & I have no idea why other than they claim it eats seals. Thing is though, I've had machines for over a decade that I got used (so they were older than that even) & so far I've never needed a seal replacement & I do tons of laundry & use it every time..... I have never had a problem & have been doing it my whole life, because I have sensitive skin. I grew up with my mom making my laundry soap (me & my dad have very sensitive skin for laundry) - 3 bars of Fels Naptha grated, which gives you about 5-6 cups of flakes usually mixed with 2-2.5 cups of soda ash & 2-2.5 cups of Borax & vinegar in the rinse cycle. I have recently come across a very similar recipe that uses Zote soap instead of Fels Naptha.

I also use white vinegar to remove the build up on my faucets & toilet. It will take the white scale off your faucet if you fill a baggie & then then duct tape it over your shower head & let it set overnight. Works like a charm. I have never understood this warning about not using it with hard water. I use it because I have hard water.

Thanks for sharing! Now I'll feel more comfortable doing it more than only once in awhile. I use it in the prewash sometimes.